Klub Borat and Jagshemash

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by Dana, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Someone recently posted the following comment in the Jagshemash? discussion on our blog:

"...Borat is a name of a Prague Club where this guy - Sasha Cohen was coming for a while in late nineties….the Phrase Jak se mas comes from there as this is how the bartenders greeted him..."

I did some research and it seems that Klub Borat is what Klub Újezd in Malá Strana used to be called for a while in the 1990s. The name of Cohen’s character supposedly comes from the name of the club. This is really interesting! Does anyone have any info on this? Is it true that both the name Borat and his greeting Jagshemash have roots in Prague?

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I was always claiming his "jagshemash" and "dziekuji" is not from his head. So at least we know the place for forum meeting to be, to do some more research :wink:

3. lauraps

lauraps New Member

Yes, true. I lived in Prague in 1992 and often frequented Borat. It was definitely a crazy place, a three-level bar with a sort of beer basement downstairs. I had a t-shirt that I got there that said, "Borat, Rock Klub na Ujezd."

As for the phrase jak se mas, it means "how are you" in Czech.

did some research and it seems that Klub Borat is what Klub Újezd in Malá Strana used to be called for a while in the 1990s. The name of Cohen’s character supposedly comes from the name of the club. This is really interesting! Does anyone have any info on this? Is it true that both the name Borat and his greeting Jagshemash have roots in Prague?

4. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I guess Cohen's Jagshemash is somewhere half way between:

czech: Jak se máš?

and polish: Jak się masz?

The same with the other word Borat uses:

czech: Děkuji
    polish: Dziękuję

In this case czech and polish are actually closer then czech and slovak. Neither slovak "Ako sa máš?" nor "Ďakujem" does fit.