Moving to the Czech Republic from Ukraine

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by Dannae, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

Note from site admin: This topic was split from the what made you move to Czech Republic? thread.

Jeff, to be honest with you.

If you come from Ukraine, do not even bother to immigrate to Czech Republic. I do not want to be cruel; I just want to spare you one big disappointment of your life. Personally I have many friends from Ukraine, I love this nation, I had at least 2 of Ukrainian families living in my house before I immigrated the USA. I love your "pizdec" BUT I experienced a life of an immigrant before and I know how tough this life is. A regular Czech guy will not have the same respects as I did and here goes a problem.

Czech nation in general is very opposed to any kind of immigration and especially to an immigration from Eastern Europe. The reason is simple; even though we are a Central Europe nation, many western countries rank us to Eastern Europe we have nothing in common. On top of that; after 40 years of Russian influence destroyed my country there are many Russian, Ukrainian, Belorussian etc. immigrants who behave like Czech Republic still belongs to them.

I know that Ukrainian people suffered from Russian dominance far longer the Czech nation did but here it goes: it is very difficult to explain one American that Czech republic does not belong to Eastern Europe and in the same way it is very difficult to explain one Czech that one Ukrainian guy has nothing in common with the Russian nation. Furthermore if there already are many Ukrainians (I know, from West Ukraine - very frequently called svoloch) who rape, steal and make a very bad reputation to its own people.

To be honest with you, I would go to a different country. Even US might give you better chances than Czech Republic. Honestly. In Czech republic you will fight for years to be even able to get a decent job (except to dig ditches); my friend who had a masters degree in economics from Ukraine it took her 11 years of trying to get an accountant job (and her Czech language was excellent).

2. jeff2

jeff2 Active Member

you obviously missed the part where i said that i'm an American. my wife is Ukrainian, and is more honest and trustworthy than any American woman i have ever met. i've already received a job offer thru this message board, and am waiting to find out if the guy can find us a place to live. he's American too. i guess watch out, we're all coming over to steal your country.lol i don't steal, i work. i'm 42 years old, and my wife is 35. we're just honest and starving.don't want to go to US until the warmongers are gone, and the constitution is restored.maybe i should just go back to the States and kick out every immigrant from MY country. that would fix alot of problems.write back when you grow up.

3. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

OK, sorry, I probably missed that part.
    If you are an American, than maybe ... depends what industry you are into. Some Americans may make a good living in Czech republic. Regardless your nationality, your wife will have a very hard time.

P.S. from my experience: Czechs do not care if she is honest or hard working; they just care that she is f***ing Russian. Sorry, these words are NOT from my mouth. I like Ukrainian people.

4. jeff2

jeff2 Active Member

it doesn't matter to me what they think of her. she was born in Crimea.she's not russian, and never will be. i'm ex-military, and anyone who has a problem with my wife, will have to go thru me.i'm a peace loving man, and avoid conflict whem i can. but if someone pushes me, i push back.we are starving here, because my wife is honest.she only works for honest people. i will learn enough czech to run a construction crew. that's what i do, i build things.my whole family told me i was crazy for moving to this country, but every time i look at my beautiful son, i have no regrets. i just have to do whatever i can to provide for my family. maybe you should be trying to help me find a job and a sponsor.

5. Dannae

Dannae Well-Known Member

Jeff2 sure; it is up to you - I only warned you, that is all.

6. jeff2

jeff2 Active Member

understandable. i have survived 2 and a half years in this hell. i'm sure czech republic will be fine. i even survived a robbery attempt by 2 policemen in kiev.i simply grabbed my trusty buck knife, told them to leave me alone, or i would kill them. the bigger one was smart enough to figure out i was serious, and they went away.julius caeser once stated, the man who lives in fear, will die a thousand deaths; i shall die but once. i fear nothing, so i'm not worried. i do hope to make some good czech friends when i get there. :D

7. Nenipes

Nenipes Member

I'm noticing a trend. All the Czechs who are in Czech are very welcoming and supportive of my upcoming move there. All the Czechs who left Czech and now live in the US have nothing but negative things to say to Americans who want to go there. I just experienced this in person last week, and now I'm reading it here. What's the deal with this?

Nenipes

8. jeff2

jeff2 Active Member

i don't know.i'm American, and just want to save my family. but like i told the other person, maybe i should go back to my country, and kick all the immigrants out. if he loves czech republic so much, why did he emigrate to my country? i'm from West Virginia, which is just hillbilly hell. hometown of 6000, and everyone knows everyone. no future unless you like working for minimum wage. i like meeting new people, going on knew adventures. when i landed here 2 and half years ago, i had been awake for 48 hours straight. couldn't sleep on the flight over. i was amazed at how much energy i still had once me and inna got to the motel. i got instant family of 2 kids, and have made 2 more since i've been here. my wife lost the first one. we almost lost the 2nd one also. the had to do a c-section on her to save both their lives. i didn't get to see them for 12 hours.when i lived in the States, i took everything for granted. i take nothing for granted anymore. but i am a survivor, and i will survive Czech Republic, and the rest of the EU. hope to meet some friendly Czechs soon.

9. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

I think this is a coincidence rather than a trend. From my experience, some Czechs who live in the Czech Republic really hate it here and want to get out of here as fast as they can. Those who can't get away keep complaining, usually without ever having experienced life in another country. Some of those who do manage to leave end up being happier in the U.S. or wherever they moved to and don't have any interest in ever returning. Others are happy being based in the U.S. but keeping ties to the Czech Rep. And there are also many Czechs who live in the U.S. temporarily and are set on returning to the Czech Republic eventually. To conclude my babble, I think you can easily run into Czechs in the Czech Republic who have nothing but negative things to say about the country and, on the other hand, meet Czechs in the U.S. who'll tell you about all the great Czech things they miss.

10. Nenipes

Nenipes Member

Hey Dana-

Thanks for the reply-I guess your point would be true about any country. I just thought it was sort of ironic that it happened to me twice in the last week! In a way, it makes me sort of re-evaluate my decision, and now I'm even more certain that I'm moving! I think Czech is beautiful, and I met so many lovely people on my last trip.

Hey Jeff-

I think your story is amazing. Maybe once we both get settled we'll attend a meet-up in Czech with other people on this forum. I met amazing Czechs on my last trip, I'll bring them along (':D') Good luck with everything!

Best
    Nenipes :D

11. jeff2

jeff2 Active Member

same here in the Ukraine. of course, those who have nothing but good to say about the the place are either running the country, stealing it blind, or both. birds of a feather, etc. i was just offended because the person automatically assumed my wife was a thief, and russian. she's neither. i've already been offered several jobs in your country, and yes they know i have wife and 3 kids.i guess i'm just immune to this mentality.we have people from every other country in the world in US. i had 2 friends in college who were Ukrainian, and i didn't know this fact until i mentioned that i was coming here to get married. they warned me about culture shock. i got over it, and so did the Ukraine.i'm sure Czech Republic will get over it to. it's really funny because in college i was criminal justice/law major and have spent the last twenty years working security and construction mostly. we have a saying in West Virginia, "what's the difference between a yankee, and a damned yakee? a yankee is just passing thru, but a damn yankee comes to stay." anyway, it does seem that you have some real nice people in Czech Republic.

12. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

in defense of the first person who posted, she never assumed anything about your wife - she just tried to say what you might possibly face

and she is right in the fact that many people here will look down upon your wife just because of where she is from - there are however many people that won't - part of the problem is that the type of people you described in your policeman story have also come here - doesn't help the overall reputation - unfortunately people tend to judge groups by the bad stories they hear rather than the good ones

it's sort of a comparable situation to what one finds in some places in california (where i grew up) and the way people react to mexicans there

otherwise, from what i have heard from some of the ukraininans around here, it is definitely better than the current situation in the ukraine (why so many of them do come here to work - for ridiculously low wages in my opinion and doing the types of work that most czechs wouldn't do - primarily in forestry and construction - and this same applies to byelorussians, moldavians, and people from other countries of the former ussr)

13. meluzina

as far as living in the czech republic, i wouldn't go back to live in the u.s. - but i have heard many people complain about the fact that the czech republic has far too much bureaucracy (it is true that visa rules are a mess and don't seem to be very welcoming - entering the schengen zone has actually brought out a lot of confusion) - that the czechs are cold, aloof, and unfriendly - that there is corruption and a lot of unsavoury business practises

but anyway - good luck to you and your family - it sounds like you'll be just fine though - i would recommend looking at some places other than prague though (i live outside of prague and wouldn't go live in prague for sure)

14. jeff2

jeff2 Active Member

i can understand that as well.george carlin described it as NIMBY. not in my back yard. do anything you want, but not here. i don't complain about all the immigrants in my country.the only ones i have a problem with are the illegal immigrants. everyone else paid their money, did their paperwork, and have a right to be there. the same will be with me and my wife. unfortunately, i won't work for low wages, i know what i'm worth. it may be less than i would get paid for same job in states, but i will be able to raise my family on it. probably, we will just be passing thru, and will wind up in England.there is no advantage to going to the states, except that is where i'm from. i will never go back to West Virginia except to visit.it is nothing but redneck hell. the people are friendly, but you will starve there. i would gladly go to Budapest, but i didn't find any outfits that could provide residence permits to Hungary. i didn't pick Czech Republic, the internet, and fate, did.

15. meluzina

the pay will most definitely be a lot less - the average czech salary is somewhere around 20,000 crowns per month - although it does depend on industry and position -

don't know if you have run across this site: http://www.en.domavcr.cz/

might have some useful information...

16. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

It's not even a coincidence since Dannae never made a negative statement about Americans going to CR but rather discussed Ukrainians going to CR.

Jeff, I understand that you may be going through a hard time right now, but Dannae was merely trying to give you a heads-up on what you might face when you arrive to CR. I see that you miss understood her and thought she was calling your wife a thief (she did not but said others may think she is a thief given her nationality). However, it seems strange that she is the one who apologized to you. :? :twisted:

17. jeff2

jeff2 Active Member

kind of funny. i missed the part where she said" i'm sorry for calling your wife a thief" i'm not worried about people in CR calling here a thief. she speaks english, and looks greek, so i doubt if anyone will know she from ukraine. i guess you think i should apologize to danny?

18. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Good guess :) It's Dannae and she's female.

19. jeff2

jeff2 Active Member

yes, i noticed. but since she called my wife a thief, i figure i can call her danny.

20. Petr_B

Petr_B Well-Known Member

Where exactly did she call your wife a thief? All I can see in her posts in this thread is her expressing common Czech view on Ukrainians. Also from her post it's obvious she doesn't have any prejudices against Ukrainians and knows that Ukraine is not Russia. While people here know that they don't care - both countries used to be important parts of the same country (USSR) for many decades and immigrants from those countries generally suffer from bad image here. By the way, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if most Americans thought Ukraine and the Czech Republic are the same/similar countries, as it seems they don't see much difference between former Eastern Bloc countries.
    What are you going to do if you get here and meet people who share mainstream opinion of Ukrainians - stab them with your "trusty buck knife" ? Don't let yourself fooled, those few Czechs posting here frequently don't really represent common opinions (as in e.g. your common reader of Blesk).

If anyone Jeff, it's you who needs to grow up. For Christ's sake, you're supposed to be a 42-year-old man with a family, ex-military with college education even, yet all I see here is a whiny boy. You can't make living in the USA, the part of country of you grew up is "redneck hell" and you starve in Ukraine (which you also call "hell") too. On top of that you complain about your father who, how could he dare, doesn't want to pump (any more?) money into you!? No surprise - it seems your whole family was against your "Wild East Adventure" and it didn't go well - exactly as they suspected.

I can't help thinking that moving back to your mother country would be the best solution. If nothing else:
    1. You wouldn't need to face a language barrier, could be very troubling, particularly when you say you are "pretty hard to teach" even this alone should be worth it, even more when you claim your wife speaks English well.
    2. There shouldn't be any troubles with immigration for your wife and kids, right? I don't get "1and a half years ago, he [my father] promised to pay for all of our visas to the states" - why would an American and his family need visas to the USA?

Sorry to be speaking frankly, I read on this very forum that Americans are not used to it, they supposedly tend to sugarcoat everything and not to be as out-front as Czechs. But I guess as a Czech living in the Czech Republic (and not having slightest intention to emigrate to the USA to steal your country or jobs), I'm somewhat entitled to do that, even when talking to a foreigner. :)

Then there would be no-one left except Native Americans - unlike the Czech Republic, the USA is based on immigration.