Prague Church and Architecture Question. . .

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by david herter, Mar 29, 2004.

1. david herter

david herter New Member

I'm a writer working on a short story set in Prague. I spent about a week there in January, but unfortunately did not pay enough attention to these two details:
    1) I need to identify a church. It was near Charles Square and had a striking profile, rather like two swooping triangular sails set at angles to one another. I think it might be the Church of Corpus Christi, but I'm not sure. Any information on it would be helpful. I could email a picture to somebody if that would help.

2)I remember standing on either the Charles or Legion bridge, and looking toward the Old/New Town side of the river (perhaps below the Narodni Divadlo) and seeing a stone pier cut into the bank above the water, with what looked like an ancient door and window, apparently leading nowhere. I can't seem to find any information on this, or what it might have once been a part of.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David Herter

2. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

I do not live in Prague, so I can't help with the pier. But the church could be one of these.

Your description seems to match the "Kostel Panny Marie" - Church of the Holy Virgin, number 66. If it is the one, I can translate its description for you.

3. david herter

david herter New Member

Halef --
    Thank you for your help. If you send me an email address, I could send you a photo I took of it.

david

4. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

5. Bohaemus

Bohaemus Well-Known Member

6. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

It's the same church, isn't it?

7. Bohaemus

Bohaemus Well-Known Member

Yes, it is. But the "Emauzy" is more specific and unique than the Church of the Holy Virgin (or Our Lady).