Town of Nebylov? 1903. Anyone recognize it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by Loudene Tollar, May 14, 2008.

1. Loudene Tollar

Loudene Tollar New Member

My husband's grandfather came from Nebylov (that's what it looks like, can't be 100% sure on the passenger list). His wife and son came from Doborny Liny. I haven't found either on current maps. The couple were James (Vaclav) and Marie Tollar (written Tolar on passenger list). Thanks, Ludie

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

The only Nebylov I found is in Ivano-Frankiv region, Ukraine (48°48'47.160"N, 24°12'56.880"E). But I've no idea where "Doborny Liny" might be.

3. Loudene Tollar

:wink: Yes, I found that also but I wasn't able to match it up to current maps of the Czech Republic. I think it's near Plzen but can't be sure. Perhaps all of the names of the towns on the maps are in Czech versus the English version I'm use to. Thanks for looking. Ludie

4. wer

wer Well-Known Member

That could be Nebílovy (in German: Nebillau/Nebilau), it’s about 10 km from Pilsen.

Loc: 49°37'48.328"N, 13°25'44.896"E

With the proper spelling you can google some info on it.

Sorry, no clue of Doborny Liny, could you elaborate on other possible spellings?

5. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

:roll: That is possible, what a shame it didn't come to my mind, despite I've been there.

6. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

There is a small village called Liny near Mlada Boleslav.

7. Karel_lerak

Karel_lerak Well-Known Member

I would guess it's "Dobřany", "Líně", both near Plzeň.

8. Loudene Tollar

:lol: Thanks to each and everyone of you for your help. There are a bunch of maps online but matching them up to recognizable town names is next to impossible sometimes.

So with what you've supplied plus what I've found elsewhere I agree that Nebylov is South East Of Plzen. Hallejuha. I found an article online the other day about a Czech settlement in Nebraska in the late 1800s. One of the men was from Nebylov Blovice! Or is it Nebylov, Blovice. Blovice is on the map so perhaps Nebylov is now or was a part of that town in the early 1900s.

I had found Liny on a map last year but none of the nearby towns were recognizable. But with your information I matched up the road numbers to Northwest of Boleslav.

The reason I'm so anxious to nail these towns down is that another Tollar family researchers family is from the Plzen area. She has recently been told there were three different Tollar families in the Plzen area in the 1800s. So this is the first clue that there might be a connection and she is hoping to go over there this year.

Thanks so much for your help. As you may already know there were a lot of Czech settlers in Texas in the 1800s. I've always enjoyed the culture and music and have several friends who are also Czech. I happy to be able to give my sons more about their family heritage.

Ludie