Bohemian Hall wiki mistake?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by Lan Mind, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Lan Mind

Lan Mind New Member

Hello all,

I am writing a short story and I'm trying to get my facts straight. On a page about the fictional neighborhoods of Liberty City at Wikipedia.com the Bohemian Hall's history is mentioned and I believe it might be wrong. I wouldn't want to change it as I'm not sure of its accuracy and if it's wrong I hope someone of correct stature will. It says:

"Steinway is also home to the McReary hangout and local landmark Steinway Beer Garden which is based on Bohemian Hall, the oldest beer garden in New York City which was founded in Astoria in 1910 by Irish and German Americans."

And is here under the header Steinway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberty...hoods#Steinway

I'm not positive on the history of the Bohemian Citizens' Benevolent Society but I don't think the Bohemian Hall was founded by Irish and German Americans. According to the Bohemian Hall website the society consists of individuals of Czech and Slovak descent and their families.

I'm no expert on Czech and Slovak history in any way and could easily be wrong but I'm hoping to find some clarification on what was posted in the wiki page.

Thanks for any help.