Dual Citizenship-can someone help?

If your post does not fit into any of the forums above, this is where it should go.

Moderators: Sova, gementricxs, Dana, My Czech Republic

MichaelaZ

Dual Citizenship-can someone help?

Postby MichaelaZ » 18-Jul-08 16:21

Hi. My name is Michaela. I am Czech. Last year I married an american citizen. We live in the US now but we are thinking about maybe moving to Prague eventually. My husband (American) would like to get a dual citizenship (American-Czech). I was wondering if someone has any experience with this and could give me some information about the process.
I would also like to know how does a dual citizenship work for kids born in the US.

Thank you,
Michaela
Petronela

Postby Petronela » 21-Jul-08 14:41

I may be wrong here but as far as I know U.S. does not recognize dual-citizenship of any kind. C.R. does, or at least used to …. So anyways, not sure how that would work if one of the countries would recognize it and another one not.
I’m definitely curious what answers you get from people who know how it actually works.
As for kids born on U.S. soil, well they are automatically American citizens (if you want them to be that is).
AxeZ

Postby AxeZ » 23-Jul-08 22:54

I believe he has to have residence in CZ for some time which shouldn't be the problem since he is family member of the Czech citizen.
Don't know exactly how long, it used to be 8 years but I think they cut it down to 5 now.
\x56 \x6f \x6a \x76 \x6f \x64 \x69 \x6e \x61
\x52 \x65 \x70 \x75 \x62 \x6c \x69 \x6b \x61
dzurisova

Postby dzurisova » 23-Jul-08 22:59

He would have to relinquish his US citizenship to have Czech citizenship. The US will not recognize both.
Bůh ti žehnej
Sova

Postby Sova » 24-Jul-08 1:57

From what I have read on a US government web site, http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html, by applying for another citizenship, you might forfeit US citizenship. The US does recognize dual citizenship, but does not encourage it. Here's another resource I found: http://www.usimmigrationsupport.org/dual_citizenship.html
Petronela

Postby Petronela » 24-Jul-08 14:24

Great links Sova! Seems almost like catch-22, you can if you find a legal loop type of thingy. I know that when you are becoming U.S. citizen you have to relinquish your former citizenship, so maybe you can then turn around and get it back after you are sworn in as U.S. citizen and hope for the best? lol Seems way too much like playing Russian roulette… :twisted:
dzurisova

Postby dzurisova » 24-Jul-08 15:21

Petronela wrote: I know that when you are becoming U.S. citizen you have to relinquish your former citizenship

Which is why I said that the US doesn't recognize both. I didn't even think that perhaps its different when its the other way around. :)
Bůh ti žehnej
MichaelaZ

Postby MichaelaZ » 24-Jul-08 16:26

Thank you guys all for your replays. I'll definitely check the links Sova. Thank you so much.
I'm planning on becoming an American Citizen so I'm wondering how it's going to be because Czech Republic allows a dual citizenship. But if the US don't then it's a strange situation.
Michaela
meluzina

Postby meluzina » 24-Jul-08 18:37

before you applu for u.s. citizenship, take a look at the czech citizenship laws - from my understanding of them, if you voluntarily take another citizenship, you will lose czech citizenship (an exception is ifyou acquire another citienship solely on the basis of marriage - i don't think this is the case in the u.s., as you still have to be aresident for acertain period of time??? )

as far as u.s. goes, it has no problems with dual citizenships - look at the numbers of irish who have gotten irish coitizenships based on their grandparents, i know of several latvians, and many czechs who fall into the right categories

the czech republic is actually much stricter about it - the current law requires you to sumbit proof of relinquishing any other citizenship at the time you apply for naturalization

note: a new version of the citizenship law for the cr is currently being prepared - a preliminary proposal passed and the miniter of the interior was assigned the task of actually drafting the law - his deadline is may 2009 i believe - i loooked at it a while back - if i recall properly, the rules on losing czech citizenship will be relaxed - the proposal would also change some of the current provisions, which are discriminatory agaisnt certain age groups as far as acquiring czech citizenship based on parentage is concerned

btw - if a child is born who has at least one parent who is a czech citizen, czech citizenship is automatic no matter where the child is born - the child just needs to be registered with the czech authorities (czech embassy has the info)
dzurisova

Postby dzurisova » 24-Jul-08 18:43

meluzina wrote: as far as u.s. goes, it has no problems with dual citizenships - look at the numbers of irish who have gotten irish coitizenships based on their grandparents, i know of several latvians, and many czechs who fall into the right categories

Perhaps if you are already a US citizen and then want to become a citizen of another country, the US has no problem with it - that I don't know. However, what I do know is to become a US citizen, you must relinquish citizenship to your former country. I have friends and family (by marriage) that had to do just this when they became US citizens.
Bůh ti žehnej