Anti-Americanism based on misconceptions?

If your post does not fit into any of the forums above, this is where it should go.

Moderators: Sova, gementricxs, Dana, My Czech Republic

Sova

Anti-Americanism based on misconceptions?

Postby Sova » 18-Aug-08 16:41

I just read an interesting article, which refers to a survey conducted in the UK attempting to relate anti-Americanism to misconceptions among British citizens. I'm curious what opinions/experiences people here have on whether such misconceptions exist in the Czech Republic, and how much they may or may not influence anti-Americanism among Czechs.
eso

Postby eso » 18-Aug-08 17:24

Sova wrote:I just read an interesting article, which refers to a survey conducted in the UK attempting to relate anti-Americanism to misconceptions among British citizens. I'm curious what opinions/experiences people here have on whether such misconceptions exist in the Czech Republic, and how much they may or may not influence anti-Americanism among Czechs.

These question in article seems really suspicious and very specific. :)

What I have in mind about darker aspects of American foreign policy, it's for example Guatemala 1954, support of Pinochet in Chille, support of Manuel Noriega, Contras support in Nicaragua... and other...

I believe that polygamy isn't officialy legal in USA, but overlooked for some religion groups.

I believe that many Czechs connect USA with violence and guns (but I know that it very depends on specific US area or neighbourhood) and that American are very religious (which is bad thing for Czechs :) )

What I most honour on USA is freedom of speech. What surprises me in bad way are ghettos, "projects", street gangs and things like was Katrina fiasco. (Sorry if I am too frank :)
When in trouble or in doubt,
run in circles scream and shout.
scrimshaw

Postby scrimshaw » 18-Aug-08 18:37

Very good article Sova, thanks for posting that.
Americans have a bad image abroad, and it's nice to know that some of that just might be only because of misconceptions. I have never understood the anti.american attitude. If anything, I would agree with Eso that, it should be because of supporting non.democratic, oppressive, tyrants in this hemisphere, but hopefully that is a thing of the past.
Some of the answers in that survey really surprised me.
The english thought that polygamy was a legal option in all the states?
It is only splinter groups of the Mormon church that practice that(and that is a very, very small number(in Utah)). The main stream Mormon church quit practicing polygamy a long time ago.
The arming Saddam question was an eye opener too. A lot of Americans need to read that. Believe it or not, there is a big 'Blame America for all the ills of the world' crowd over here too.
Jsem zvědav, jak by to vypadalo, kdybych byl přivolávačem deště. Jak by to vypadalo, kdybych uměl přivolat déšt'?
Mám pocit ale, že se to bohužel nikdy nedozvím.
eso

Postby eso » 18-Aug-08 18:42

On other hand, I don't think polygamy or carbon emissions are number one US problems for Britons. I guess the main problem they have right now is war in Iraq.

scrimshaw

Postby scrimshaw » 18-Aug-08 23:49

I wonder what the number are, in percentages, of the anti American policy vs. pro american policy are. Is the negative view really as strong as some suggest?
Jsem zvědav, jak by to vypadalo, kdybych byl přivolávačem deště. Jak by to vypadalo, kdybych uměl přivolat déšt'?

scrimshaw

Postby scrimshaw » 19-Aug-08 0:34

To expand my own question....I'm sure the attitudes very widely among the different nations.

eso

Postby eso » 19-Aug-08 7:03

scrimshaw wrote:I wonder what the number are, in percentages, of the anti American policy vs. pro american policy are. Is the negative view really as strong as some suggest?

Well this isn't so easy, I think majority likes something on America and at the same time doesn't like something other. I believe extremes (love all/hate all) are rare.

Sova

Postby Sova » 19-Aug-08 15:33

eso wrote:These question in article seems really suspicious and very specific. :)

Definitely. This group "America in the World" definitely has an agenda, and so you can bet chose specific questions which they believed would provoke incorrect answers. Also, they apparently don't even attempt to correlate these specific misconceptions of the US with anti-Americanism. Admittedly, some of these questions, particularly the ones about foreign policy toward Muslim states and selling arms to Sadaam, are obviously in some measure related to the current anti-American trends in Europe and elsewhere, but it would be nice to show such a correlation with statistics.

Thanks for your comments, eso and scrimshaw.
eso

Postby eso » 19-Aug-08 16:38

I only want to add, that there are many things I don't like on Czech republic, too, of course.

Like reign of bureaucracy, poor services, "To nejde" attitude, authorities corruption, driving habits...
wer

Postby wer » 19-Aug-08 19:29

Sova wrote:I just read an interesting article, which refers to a survey conducted in the UK attempting to relate anti-Americanism to misconceptions among British citizens.

That seems to be a pro-American propaganda based on cargo cult statistics.

I'm curious what opinions/experiences people here have on whether such misconceptions exist in the Czech Republic...

Of course the misconceptions exist, but different or with different frequencies.

A Czech is less-likely to be duped by the Iraq trap question, for example, because he knows that Iraq was massively supported by the Eastern Block (and Czechoslovakia in particular).

...and how much they may or may not influence anti-Americanism among Czechs.

Not significantly, I think. The anti-Americanisms doesn't consist in misconception per se, because other misconceptions doesn't result, in general, in anti-attitudes. No significant anti-Europeanism is driven by the American misconceptions about Europe, for example.

Admittedly, some of these questions, particularly the ones about foreign policy toward Muslim states and selling arms to Sadaam, are obviously in some measure related to the current anti-American trends in Europe and elsewhere, but it would be nice to show such a correlation with statistics.

What correlation? I guess the article is based on some simple contingency tables, but the statistics, as it is presented, says nothing about the dependency because it gives us only one point [frequency of anti-Americanism, frequency of misconception].