Zlin Region/Zlinsky Kraj

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous (Czech-Related)' started by thebig C, Sep 29, 2008.

1. thebig C

thebig C Well-Known Member

Hey Gang! :) Hopefully somebody is familiar enough with this area to answer these questions.

Firstly, what mountain ranges are in this region?

Secondly, what is the predominant type of agriculture in this area?

Specifically, relating to the easternmost part near the Slovak border.

I have tried searching google/wikipedia but I have only been able to find very general information......and some websites in Czech......which being Irish are lost on me! :D

Thanks

C

2. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

If you go north and east from Zlín, the mountains are called the Hostýnsko-všetínská hornatina. A little further north are the Moravskoslezské beskydy and across the Slovak border due east are the Javorníky. If you go south or south-east, it's the Bílé Karpaty. To the west are the Chřiby. Here is a link to a Czech interactive map, with all the names of mountain ranges and national parks in green (although you have to zoom in close to see these, which I have done in this link for you): http://www.mapy.cz/#x=141357056@y=133074944@z=9@mm=ZP

3. thebig C

Hi Sova.

Many thanks for that . I found the Chriby ranges on wikipedia but information was fairly scant regarding some smaller mountains.

Are you from here yourself?

C

4. thebig C

Just been looking through those maps....they are really very good once you zoom in. Thanks again.

I found something with like a google earth photo but this is much more useful.

C

5. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

6. thebig C

Thanks Alexx. I had found that website, alot of the information talks about tourist attractions etc.

Thanks though. :D

C

7. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

There is one more web like this one, but in czech only, so I can imagine how useful will it be for you - as useful as website about Cork region in irish for me :).

But sub-mountain areas are very nice there, I do not often visit this region, but I was there last week to attend my friend's wedding close to Valasske Klobouky and Vizovice. Really nice place to spend some time rather then in busy city.

8. thebig C

:D :D :D Yeah! Even I hardly understand Irish....especially if if is spoken with a Cork accent!!

If you were in the area did you notice when you were traveling around what sort of Agriculture is mostly practiced in that area? I know this is a long shot, especially if you are not into looking at farms!! :lol:

But, even though I live in Dublin I would know, for example, that in Wicklow there are mostly sheep and beef farms, Kildare has mostly Dairy and Cereal, just from traveling throught those areas. So, I was hoping a some Czech person here might be like this for the Zlin region. :)

9. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Nope, born and raised in the USA. And I've only been through the Zlin region a few times. I just knew where to find a map of the region.

10. thebig C

Well done for that! :)

Go raibh mile maith agat! (Thank you very much- in Gaelic) :D

11. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

Not getting fed up of Prague already, are you Alexx? :wink: See you tonight!