czech canisters

If your post does not fit into any of the forums above, this is where it should go.

Moderators: Sova, gementricxs, Dana, My Czech Republic

dzurisova

czech canisters

Postby dzurisova » 17-Nov-08 19:58

My step-daughter and I like to shop at antique stores. At almost every antique shop in this area we come across a set of canisters that looks somewhat like this

And say "made in Czechoslovakia". But the sets we see are older, appear to be from the 1950's or so.

We are curious as to why they are written in English. It seems they would be written in Czech such as cukr, kava, etc. Does anyone know the story behind these sets?
Bůh ti žehnej
Karel_lerak

Postby Karel_lerak » 17-Nov-08 21:25

dzurisova wrote:My step-daughter and I like to shop at antique stores. At almost every antique shop in this area we come across a set of canisters that looks somewhat like this

And say "made in Czechoslovakia". But the sets we see are older, appear to be from the 1950's or so.

We are curious as to why they are written in English. It seems they would be written in Czech such as cukr, kava, etc. Does anyone know the story behind these sets?

My guess: export to english speaking countries.
Many products in Czechoslovakia were produced for export.
Karel, Praha, Czechia
dzurisova

Postby dzurisova » 17-Nov-08 22:51

Karel_lerak wrote: My guess: export to english speaking countries.

I thought during Communism, they didn't export to non-communist countries???? I thought we were the evil capitalists! :twisted:
Bůh ti žehnej
wer

Postby wer » 17-Nov-08 23:55

dzurisova wrote:I thought during Communism, they didn't export to non-communist countries????

Then you though wrong! The thing the commies liked the most were…

…dollars.

The Czech economy is limited by lack of resources. We need the international trade to survive. Our economy was always export-oriented.

I thought we were the evil capitalists! :twisted:

No, that time you were the imperialistic pigs, the Wall Street murders, the killers of innocent Korean childs and the exploiters of the black people.

Given the picture, I would guess it’s from the 30’s, or a fake from the 90’s. But it could be from any era since 1918 (except of the war years). Maybe the name of the manufactory or the hallmark could be more helpful.
Last edited by wer on 17-Nov-08 23:55, edited 1 time in total.
eso

Postby eso » 17-Nov-08 23:55

dzurisova wrote:

I thought during Communism, they didn't export to non-communist countries???? I thought we were the evil capitalists! :twisted:

Evil capitalists with hard foreign currencies. And you need lot of money if you want to finance world revolution ;) ;)
When in trouble or in doubt,
run in circles scream and shout.
kibicz

Postby kibicz » 18-Nov-08 16:37

eso wrote:
dzurisova wrote:

Evil capitalists with hard foreign currencies. And you need lot of money if you want to finance world revolution ;) ;)

when it come to dolars..
http://orgprepdaily.wordpress.com/2007/11/08/agent-orange-made-in-czechoslovakia/
..comrades even dont know who are they supposed to support;)
(thought we send quite lot guns to comm. Vietnam)
I need my czenglish corrected! (including this signature;)