Czech groceries in Edmonton (or flour substitute)

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by sst, Apr 13, 2009.

1. sst

sst New Member

Hi,

I've been trying to make knedliky but I can't get the right consistency because I don't have the right flour.

Does anyone know where I can get Czech flour in Edmonton? Or can anyone suggest an alternative to the North American all purpose flour that will work?

Thanks

2. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

in the u.s., my mother used a combination of all-purpose - self-rising (which is basically all-purpose with baking powder in it) - and what was sold in u.s. under the name of "wondra" - which is more or less hruba mouka - most dumpling recipes use polo-hruba - so my mother basically comined the all puropse (hladka) with the wondra....

sorry - i don't know canadian brands - in the u.s. the wondra was not really with the flours at the shops - the last i remember it was sold in small canisters which people used to thicken gravy - also, you might want to try the very very fine cream of wheat (not the instant) - it is uite close to hruba mouka

3. zdenour

zdenour New Member

You may also try a bread flour. I use a brand called Gold Medal and it comes in yellow package. I live in Florida and I can get it in any supermarket. It seems to work just fine.
    Good luck.
    Zdenka

4. Talamute

Talamute Member

I've been trying to find Kofola in Edmonton... but no idea where to look.

5. Kanadanka

Kanadanka Well-Known Member

Hi. I live in Edmonton too :)
    I use Instant blending or "Best for blending" Robin Hood flour for dumplings and they have been turning out ok (it's coarser than bread flower or all purpose).
    I have never looked for Kofola (don't really like the taste), but I understand you can have just about anything shipped, including soda

http://www.jmimport.com/kofola-soft-drink-p-163.html

6. Talamute

Talamute Member

That site has been out of stock for the last few months so far..

7. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

http://www.slovczechvar.com/?page=20&ca ... tegory=119

insanely overpriced and don’t know if they ship to Canada, but may be worth dropping them an e-mail asking.
    As a side note (don’t know if it applies to the north) as much as I love this company I try not to order from them in the summer coz I live down south and everything arrives boiled lol, but fall through spring I think of them as my best friends :)

8. Kanadanka

Kanadanka Well-Known Member

Oh, that's a great site. Lots of things to order ;)