chleb

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by dzurisova, May 4, 2009.

1. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

I bought a bread maker last week. I have a pretty good recipe for Czech rye but I'm eager to try other recipes. Please share some czech bread recipes for bread makers. :)

2. magan

magan Well-Known Member

There are many recipes for Czech rye bread on internet. Make a dough, let it rise, then take it out, form it into a loaf, cover with tea towel till it rises again and bake in hot oven.

I use my bread maker for all yeast based goods with great results. Including all Czech recipes containing yeast. The secret to great bread is not to bake it in bread maker, but form it as you want and bake it in the regular oven.

Remember: bread/dough maker is GREAT for making bread yeast dumplings. Just use any basic white flour, dry yeast, bit of salt, bit of sugar and water recipe amounts like for white bread. Do as in above paragraph, form in dumpling sizes you want and cook in boiling water. Cut in slices with no-flavour dental floss.

If you want to add cut up dry white bread into your dumplings, or in other doughs raisins or nuts, you have to add it by hand after you take dough out of the bread maker after first rise.
    Good luck

3. dzurisova

Ok, I'm far from suzy home-maker. I feel lucky I can sew a button on a shirt. So making bread in a bread maker is a BIG step for me. I won't be attempting your other suggestions as they were too vague for my understanding of cooking. :D

So back to the original questions, any one have some recipes for Czech rye in English that uses actual amounts & instructions.

If not I understand - perhaps its a generalization, but I get the impression most Czech people can bake bread without the maker. ~shruggs~

4. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Sorry Dzurisova, I thought that it is not difficult to search Google for recipe. However, it doesn't always explain how to end up with right kind of bread. Here it goes:

Rye bread with caraway

2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
    2 cups warm water (110 degrees to 115 degrees)
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1 tablespoon caraway seed
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 1/2 cups rye flour
    2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

Put all in your breadmaker. Set it on dough (will take about 1.5 hrs).
    Take dough out of breadmaker. Make a loaf shape out of it, but don't handle it too much. Place it on non stick baking sheet or grease up regular baking sheet. Cover with clean dry dishcloth. Set your oven to 375 degrees. After 15 min. put it in the oven and bake. You can tell when it could be ready when it turns gold/brown. Take it out and knock on it. If it sounds hollow it is done. If not return for few more minutes. Before slicing you have to wait till it cools.

If you bake bread in bread maker, you will end up with a brick - not Czech loaf of bread.
    Good luck.

5. dzurisova

thank you :)

See I need more step by step instructions. I've never used the bread maker to make dough. I'll give it a try.

6. magan

magan Well-Known Member

You are welcome. I am in Prague and my bread maker and recipes are in Canada. It is so easy to buy great rye bread here and I am enjoying it very much. When I get back home and feel like having some good bread, I will have to bake it myself.
    Hope it turns out good.