Looking for a favorite receipe

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Melissa, Oct 10, 2009.

1. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Hi, I am looking for a receipe for a sauerkraut biscuit. I think you spell it like this macheneck. I only know that it is so good. chewy on the outside and very tender on the inside. we ate it with butter.
    Thank you
    melissa

2. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

Do not have a recipe for sauerkraut biscuits, but to have the following:

Cabbage Rolls

SOFT YEAST DOUGH:

1 tbsp compressedyeast
    1 tbsp sugar
    2 tbsp flour
    2 tbsp lukewarm milk
    4 cups flour
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup lukewarm milk
    1/4 cup butter, melted
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
    1 tsp vanilla

Place yeast in a large bowl, sprinkle with 1 tbsp sugar and stir until bubbles appear. Add 2 tbsp flour and 2 tbsp warm mlk. Blend all together. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 10 minutes.

After it has risen, add all the other ingredients and blend well with a spatula or wooden spoon. Remove dough onto a floured pastry board and knead until it is smooth and does not stick. Return to bowl, sprinkle with some flour, cover and let rise in a warm palce for 1 hour or until it has doubled in size.

CABBAGE FILLING:

4 cups shredded cabbage (like for cole slaw)
    2 tbsp butter
    salt to taste
    sugar to taste
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1/4 cp milk

Stew cabbage in butter for about 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and saute until all liquid has cooked off (about 10 minute. Let cool completely.

ASSEMBLY:

Roll out risen dough to 3/4 inches thick. Cut into 4 inch squares. Place a tablespoon of cabbage filling in center of square and bring edges together and pinch to seal in filling. Place rolls on a buttered baking dish and let rise for about 30 minutes. Brush with melted butter. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Enjoy.