Typical czech food- vegetarian?

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by doll, Oct 21, 2009.

1. doll

doll Member

I am unfamiliar with czech food, and was wondering what traditional dishes they have. Also, I am vegetarian- will this be a problem travelling in the country? I imagine czechs eat a lot of meat.

2. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

If you consider milk/cheese vegetarian-suitable, most popular meat-free dish is "Smažený sýr" (fried cheese). This is what you probably get in next-to-every restaurant all over the country. In better restaurants you will see plenty of salads, brocoli-dishes...

3. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

There was a vegetarian restaurant upstairs in a shopping center in Brno.. Trying to remember the name..
    Something like velky... something.. velky something in the diminutive because I remember commenting on how it meant big little ______ cross or gallery maybe Velky Křiček or something like that... It's not hard to find I think you go straight up the hill by KFC after you leave the train station and then maybe you.. turn.. in some direction.. but it's around there somewhere. The restaurant was a buffet. They weighed what you bought. Pretty expensive by Czech standards but probably quite cheap by yours!
    There's an internet cafe upstairs too. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

The restaurant is called something like.. Health.. Something... they're focused on serving healthy food which for some reason means vegetarian and organic as well these days. It's not really my thing so I didn't take better notes!