Any tasty pickled stuff ?

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Papaver, Jul 6, 2004.

1. Papaver

Papaver New Member

I was wondering if there was any particularly tasty pickles to be procured there ?

2. Karel

Karel Well-Known Member

Hi Papaver,

The best pickles you can get in the CR are from ZNOJMO. When you go to a supermarket for a couple of jars, ask for ZNOJEMSKE OKURKY. Pickle in which Znojemske okurky are preserved is sweet and sour.

Enjoy!

Karel

3. maxicek

maxicek Member

Didn't they go out of business? I thought about a year ago, there was some big hoo ha that they were...haven't seen the pickles in a while, so...

4. Karel

Karel Well-Known Member

No, they haven`t gone out of business. Only the trademark has changed its owner. The company Hame now sells them under the name ZNOJMIA. I`m not quite certain how long it`ll last because the former Znojemske okurky owner filed a lawsuit again Hame, and wants it back.

What`s important is that farmers in Znojmo region will highly likely continue to grow their pickles in spite of all the lawsuits which really don`t affect their raw produce. American potato farmers will grow their potatoes, too, I reckon, come hell or high water. You could possibly make a trip to Znojmo when pickles are in season and buy a few kg from the farmers themselves. There are lots of online recipes. When I`m back in the CR I buy fruit and vegetables from farmers in Litomerice region. Fresh and for a song.

http://www.hame.cz/index.php?_=dokument&navigace=33

5. maxicek

maxicek Member

Thanks for the info, Karel....I have a look the next time I go shopping.

You're a long way from home :) - what took you to Japan?

6. Karel

Karel Well-Known Member

A girl called Kayoko...........well, a long story, but I`m afraid that`s all I can say, I`ve got to keep something to myself. :D

I hope you get those pickles. Take care.

Karel