knedlike in Prague

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by tcjohans, Sep 7, 2004.

1. tcjohans

tcjohans New Member

A long time ago, in 1991 I think, I visited Prague and have a good memory of hanging out in popular, working class style, down-to-earth lunch places for locals, eating meals with knedlike, meat, sauce etc.
    I wonder: How much does such a meal with knedlike in those regular lunch-places cost today? Anyone knows?

(Trying to figure out my knedlike-budget for the next few months.)

Thomas

2. Joss

Joss Active Member

Seeing as nobody from Cr has replied, last time I was in Praha last year between 125 and 250 crowns depending on what it was and where you go. I am assuming you mean Swickova or Gulas with knedlik.

3. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Dont know about Praha, but in common restaurants in Brno you can get knedlik-with-something for some 50 - 80. Many restaurants also offer lunch menu for about 50.

However, there are very few "working class style lunch places for locals" now. No more automat Koruna, I think that Joss is quite right with the prices, at least when talking about centre of Prague. If you last visited Prague in 1991, I think you are gonna be very surprised how it has changed.

4. Joss

Joss Active Member

I also agree with Halef!

Out of Praha you can eat well very cheaply. I often stop when I'm visiting relatives in a little town in Southern Moravia called Jedovnice and I have had a good three course meal there for four people with beer for under 600 koruny. That's less than £13 to me - unreal!

Seems to me that the further you go out from Praha the cheaper it gets!

Joss

5. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

Goulash with knedliky is 100 koruna in the pub U Medvidku (not far from Vaclavske namesti). That's a reasonable price for central Prague. In the suburbs it may be as low as 70.