How is BYOW viewed on in High End restraunts in CZ?

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by DJ Laguna, Oct 16, 2004.

1. DJ Laguna

DJ Laguna Member

I will be visiting Prague first then Brno in January. I would like to bring my own wine for some special meals in a few fine restaurants such as Allegro at the Four Seasons and Kampa Park in Prague. Is this frowned on in general in the Czech culture or is a corkage charge acceptable in better restaurants?

2. Karel

Karel Well-Known Member

Hi,

I`m not a big pub or restaurant goer but I`ve never seen a single BYO restaurant in the CR. The BYO thing in the English speaking world is probablydue to the licence allowing you to sell alcohol, which is anything but cheap. Seems to me that there`s no such thing at all in the CR or it`s affordable even for some restaurants out in the sticks.

You wouldn`t be frowned upon, the waiters might kick you out. :D Some restaurants (even in Prague) don`t allow anyone to use their toilets except for the customers.

Enjoy your stay!

Karel

3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

As far as I know, you can bring your own wine to a restaurant on special occasions (we did it for our wedding dinner) and it has to be discussed in advance with the manager when booking the table. Good restaurants accept it and the waiters are even interested in your wine and its origin.

4. Karel

Karel Well-Known Member

So you have to get married DJ :D I wonder what happens if you`re married. Maybe you just have to get divorced, and remarry on the third occasion. :D

5. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

Well, you do not have to get married - just tell the manager you did :lol: - or that it is your birthday party or whatever you want to celebrate...

6. DJ Laguna

DJ Laguna Member

Thank you for the information. I would not presume it is ok, especially in a foreign country, so obviously it is best to ask in advance.