The best beer in the Czech Republic is.....

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Englishman in Turkey, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Now, if Czechs are serious beer drinkers this topic should spark a storm of replies. But please hurry, I shall be arriving in Prague from Turkey on Monday 24th Jan to check your suggestions during the next four days! I shall announce the winner next week!

Please also see my enquiry about best out-of-town-pub.

2. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Pilsner Urquell, no doubt :)

Budvar is also very good, and then there is a bunch of high quality everyday beers - Staropramen, Gambrinus, Krušovice, Černá hora, Radegast.... The only beer I don't like is Starobrno, but you hardly get it in Prague.

3. Thanks, Halef. I shall endeavour to work through the list! :D

4. theottomansultan

theottomansultan New Member

I prefer dark beer and I think the dark Czech beer that I really liked was called Staropramen. I have had Pilsner Urquell lots of time and thatsa great pilsener but I just prefer dark beer over regular beer. Either way, you cant go wrong with Czech beer, its better than most other beers and probably the cheapest place in Europe to get beer.

By the way, how do you like Tuborg Gold and Efes Pilsener in Turkey???

5. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Some of the light beers I enjoy are Krušovice Mušketýr, Budvar, Bernard, and Radegast. I am also a fan of Czech dark beer. Some of my favorites are Kozel, Krušovice, and Budvar.

Na zdraví!

6. uuspoiss

uuspoiss Well-Known Member

Krušovice a Velkopopovický Kozel! Mám Černou Horu také rád, ale jsem viděl tu na prodej jenom v Brně.

Krušovice and Velkopopovický Kozel! I also liked Černá Hora, but I only saw that on sale in Brno.

7. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Velkopopovický Kozel dark and Krušovice dark! Also all the other Krušovice (try Mušketýr). Bernard is also very good. I don't like Pilsner Urquell - too bitter for my taste.

Make sure you get beer on draft as it's usually much better than in the bottle.

8. Idler

Idler Member

Iagree with Dana about both beers. I would add that the light Kozel is also good. As far as Moravian beers go, though, I'm a huge fan of Červeny Drak.

9. tuzemski

tuzemski Active Member

krusovice is horrible. Pilsner is the best, Bernard's is good too. Watch out because many brands make many different types of beers. Which may account for the krusovice difference. I'm talking the 12 degree.

10. Geleen

Geleen Active Member

Mám velmi ráda černý Velkopopovický Kozel.

11. uuspoiss

Krušovice:
    - Imperial - 5,0%
    - Černé - 3,8%
    - Světlé - 3,8%
    - Mušketýr - 4,5%

http://www.pivo-krusovice.cz/ :)

12. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Percentage of alcohol != degree.

The degrees (usually 10 and 12) say the amount of beer wort extract in the beer.

A 10 degrees beer usually has 3,5 - 4,2 % of alcohol, a 12 degrees one about 5%.

13. tuzemski

tuzemski Active Member

thank you for clarifing the percent degree confussion

14. Tajemství

Tajemství Guest

Protože jsem nebyla v Českě, je třeba pít to, co je v obchodech, a v obchodech je jen Velkopopovický Kozel :)

15. uuspoiss

Thanks for clarifying. I know they're not the same, it was just to illustrate tuzemski's point that there are different kinds of Krušovice available. Their website just lists them with percentage, not degrees.
    BTW, in the meantime I remembered that Starobrno is also very good, both the regular and černé!

16. Brody

Brody Member

I can't believe no one has mentioned mixed light and dark beer yet the best way to drink Czech lager. At first it sounds a horrible idea but after being pursaded to try it by Czech friends its now all I drink when in Prague. Find somewhere that sells Cerny and lezak or svetle Krusovice or Grambrinus on draught and try it the flavour and smoothness of dark combined with the refreshing taste of light, heaven. :D

Still haven't figured out the easiest/best way to ask for this drink in Czech though anyone got any ideas:

17. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Ask for "řezák" or "řezané pivo". Not an easy way, with "ř" involved :)

18. uuspoiss

Yes!:) This is exactly what happened to me in Brno last year. The thing looked horrible, but the Czechs talked me into it and it turned out to be really good and afterwards the night turned out to be very late... This was with light and dark Černá Hora on tap in a pub.

19. Brody

Brody Member

At least its at the start of the word which makes it a little easier instead of in the middle where its impossible. Still can't say the damn thing properly though, despite the other halfs best attempts at teaching me:

Me: rryyy
    Her: ř
    Me: rjjjj
    Me rrcccc
    Me: Ja D'Hospody
    Her: Te Vola

:wink:

20. haukur

haukur Active Member

this is such a hard question. budvar, krusovice and pilsner urquell are all good. Kozel, velvet and kelt are all great too. So are Svijany, Staropramen, Radegast, gambrinus and zlaty beran. i could probably name 1000s of beers from the CZ i love. they're all great and I only drink czech beer now(though we don't get many different types here in Iceland). But, if I am to pick just one I guess I'll get a bit "patriotic" and pick Svijany as the best. It is the local brewery of where I lived and it still remains as my favorite beer + MF Dnes picked Svijany as "The best local beer of the czech republic" in 2003. If i remember correctly.