The best pub away from the centre of Prague is....

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Englishman in Turkey, Jan 21, 2005.

1. :lol: Yes, we can follow the sheep to Mesto and do the tourist thing, but we want to jump on a metro or a bus and get away to a relaxed pub for a simple meal and a few jars of Czech beer in pleasant surroundings away from the centre. We don't like chrome and red velvet furnishings. We like old wooden tables, people who fall on the floor laughing at a good joke.... Please tell me where we can find this?

And please also see my question about "the best beer in the Czech republik"..

2. haukur

haukur Active Member

jump on a bus to Turnov and go to Restaurace Maskovka. another good pub in Turnov is "magic sport bar". But, ehm. Most towns have a few local pubs who'm most of are excelent. Just jump on any bus or train and go out in any small town you think you'll like ans I assure you, you'll find a nice old czech pub. But, you might need to know a bit of czech or have a local with you, 'cause the people at these places might not speak english. They might know german though....sometimes. taking the metro 4-5 stops away from the center and walking in to some random bar is also great fun :D

3. Haukur, you wrote your good advice just after we returned home. But what you wrote is precisely what we did and we found great places just by jumping on and off trams at random. For anyone else reading this: a great tip that I read before we went was to buy a Prague travel ticket at the airport. They can be bought for various periods like 3 days or a week, and you can jump on and off trams or metros or the funicula railway as often as you like. It's very easy to find your way around.