cheese

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by tabletophomestead, Feb 2, 2005.

1. I'm an American of Czech ancestry and a home cheesemaker. I'm very interested in learning about traditional Czech cheesemaking, names/types of cheeses, traditional techniques and recipes, and if Czech cheesemakers used goat's milk. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. brigitte

brigitte Well-Known Member

I have had a look at my literature, but the only thing i found was about Balkan cheese which is salty and is like feta.

Olomouc seems to be the oldest known, although some may beg to differ. I think it is wrapped in a special linen, although I cannot remember what it's called! Another kind is Hermelin.

(My aunt used to make goats cheese in the 70s - in the UK not in the CZ)

3. Ryan

Ryan Member

We cannot continue on this topic without the obligatory mentioning of tvaroh. I would say this is the biggest (as in most popular) cheese along with the above-mentioned Hermelin.

Hermelin is like camembert. Sofy, creamy, whiite rind.

Tvaroh is more unique, I would say, with two types - soft and hard. The hard type is what i believe we call here in the States, "Farmer's Cheese". The soft is almost like cream cheese, but not really.

But in general the Czech Republic isn't a cheese lover's paradise. I found most of the cheeses underwhelming.

And sorry, I don't know a thing about how they are made. 8)

4. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

The Slovaks are very fond of bryndza, a soft sheep cheese.

5. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

I'd say that the least underwhelmed is the Olomouc, a stinky translucent amber-coloured cheese. You either love it or hate it - there is no middle road. :)

6. brigitte

brigitte Well-Known Member

I think cheesemaking methods are similar wherever you go - I know some cheeses are aged in caves, but the process is generally the same, using a churn to stir the curds and remove the whey! Pressing methods may differ though.

Re - Olumouc, I reckon it must stand a chance with my mother's favourite cheeses, the smellier and stronger the better. Blue cheeses are the smelliest.

7. magan

magan Well-Known Member

One home made for you:

Farmers cheese (tvaroh)
    add salt, paprika, caraway seed
    and mix it with some beer
    Leave it to ripe in dark container poterry/china (not glass see through) for few days in warm room. COVER it it stinks but it is sooooo good.
    It will be soft, when really ripe it will be runny yellowish and must be eaten on rye bread.

8. Eva2

Eva2 Well-Known Member

Magan, what do you mean for a few days? Two, three, more?