Czech bread

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Jason, Mar 8, 2000.

1. Jason

Jason New Member

My girlfriend is from the Czech Republic, and she is very unhappy with the food here in the U.S., especially the bread. I haven't been able to find any recipes specifically dealing with Czech bread, and since I haven't had it, don't really know what the differences are. Any ideas?

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Jason, try looking for dark, rye bread in the store. There is German or Bavarian Rye, Jewish Rye, Odessa Rye... Those can be pretty close to the Czech rye bread, especially if they are made with caraway seeds. You should be able to find that type of bread at Safeway, Trader Joe's (go to traderjoes.com to locate one in your area), and various bakeries.
    I once made a posting on this bulletin board as a response to a lady who had a problem similar to yours. She was preparing for the arrival of a Czech au pair and was wondering what foods would make her feel at home. So I told her about my own "joys and frustrations" related to different foods I either couldn't find or found strange in the States. Anyway, if you are interested, you can find the posting under Miscellaneous - please choose "Show all topics" in the drop down menu in the upper right part of the page because the posting was made more than a year ago and is not going to display on your page automatically. The posting is called Hosting a Czech au pair.
    Good luck and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
    Dana