vanocka

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Anonymous, Dec 31, 2000.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Does anybody tried to bake vanocka overseas?
    I found one recepy, but somehow, my vanocka became quite harder then expected and it did not taste even a bit like the one from home (Moravia). As well I'm having hard time to find a fresh east in here Montreal (Canada). If there is anyone with some tips, it will be very helpful.

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Veronika,
    Have you tried the vanocka recipe from The Czechoslovak Cookbook by Joza Brizova? I have not tried that one myself but I've tried some other recipes from that book and I found them pretty accurate. I think the cookbook was specifically written for people who live in America and it suggests replacements for some typical Czech ingredients that you can't find abroad.
    The book is available through My Czech Republic's Bookstore but you can probably find it in regular bookstores as well.

3. margie

margie New Member

hello there,
    i have a receipe for vanocka - it's very good - yummy. email me if you still want the receipe.
    margie

4. anitaljamieson

anitaljamieson New Member

Just a quick note for Veronika. We live in western Canada and have a new Czech daughter-in-law. As a result, we have been trying several Czech recipes.

Regarding the yeast - we have found that live yeast works the best. You can buy it at Superstore (ask ne of the bakers in the bakery department). It comes in about a one pound block and is very cheap.

Have you found anything in your area similar to the course flour used for knedlicky (sp.) ? We can't find any in our area....just wondering where someone could buy it.

Anyway, hope our hint on the yeast helps you some.

5. brigitte

brigitte Well-Known Member

I have the book Dana mentioned, and it is worth buying. It is written for Americans, but I found it here in the UK. A lot of the ingredients I can find, in my case it is the American words for ingredients I know by other names here! Buy it it is a good book.