Fruit Dumplings

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Draha, Sep 12, 2003.

1. Draha

Draha New Member

Hello and Thank You! Please help me, as I am looking for a recipe for fruit dumplings (knedlicky). If I remember correctly, my mother made them with dry cottage cheese dough and boiled them. Then we had them with butter and sugar, or cottage cheese too. Since all my ancestors are gone, I have lost my prize Czech recipes. Please e-mail and thank you!

2. Joss

Joss Active Member

Hi - I'm new here

My girlfirend is from Southern Moravia and she makes fruit dumplings this way. They are fantastic. I will ask her for the recipie

Joss

3. Jirka

Jirka Well-Known Member

Hi there,

if you speak Czech you will sure want to check out www.recepty.cz. It has been redesigned and it's now a terrific website.

I'll use it to put something on "ovocné knedlíky" in English here...

Jirka

4. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

I made fruit dumplings for the children at the youth center I volunteer at... they just loved them. :D

5. Jaki

Jaki Member

I use Bakers Cheese - not cottage cheese in the dumpling (the strawberry ones.. mmmmm). My Czech mother-in-law says it is closer to the quark cheese they use. Bakers Cheese is in some (not all) supermarkets (in Vancouver anyways).

Yummy!

PS - does anybody have a really good goulash recipe? It is my hubby's favourite. :wink:

6. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Following is one recipe for fruit dumplings. This one is using mashed boiled potatoes in dough. When I find recipe using cottage cheese I will post itl

SVESTKOVE KNEDLIKY (Plum or other fruit Dumplings)
    2 eggs
    2 cups sifted flour (all-purpose)
    2 cups boiled potatoes, riced
    1 cup fine bread crumbs
    12-15 plumbs
    1/4 cup cinnamon sugar
    salt
    butter
    Cream 2 tablespoons butter, beat in eggs and salt. Gradually beat in flour and riced potatoes. Dough should be stiff to knead thoroughly. On floured board roll out dough to 1/4-in thickness, then cut 3-inch squares. Lay 1 plum on each square, sprinkle with little cinnamon sugar and fold edges over plum. Shape with hands into a ball. The wall of dough should be very thin. Drop dumplings into boiling salted water, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. Brown bread crumbs in 1/3 cup hot butter. Roll dumplings in buttered bread crumbs, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Makes 3-5 servings.