Hey foreigners, do you like kofola?

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by fabik317, May 31, 2005.

1. fabik317

fabik317 Well-Known Member

I've just came from a pub and it came to my mind that this drink gets more and more popular. I'd like to ask how do you feel about it (when compared with with traditional coca-cola or pepsi for ex.) I can't judge because I'm biased by drinking it all my life, so what do you guys think?

2. allieanne

allieanne Member

its the same as far as it goes in general.

3. Ruzete

Ruzete Well-Known Member

What is Kofola exactly?

4. fabik317

fabik317 Well-Known Member

a coke-like soft drink but besides coca and cola it has several other herbs in it and it's not as sweet as ordinary coke or pepsi

5. szarkafarka

szarkafarka Well-Known Member

6. uuspoiss

uuspoiss Well-Known Member

We had something similar during the Soviet times here, but I don't remember what the name was. Anyway the one that you have in the CR tastes better. And it's far better than Coke if that's what you're asking:)
    H.

7. gr84all

gr84all Member

I'm originally from Ostrava-Hrabová. There was a smelly, brown-colored creek there (I'm assuming it originated from a local paper mill), and we called that water "kofola". That was in the 70's though. They probably cleaned it by now...

8. solman

solman New Member

Hey, got a wedding comin up for my nephew, where in the states can a get kofola? also that 'rocket fuel' plum brandy, and smadny mnich?
    help a slav!!!
    solman

9. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I like Kofola - usually have several when I am over there. I must admit I am partial to diet(lite) caffeine-free Coke (I know, I know... yuk! but it is what I am used to) and have a general distaste for Pepsi (too sweet), however.

10. wissy

wissy Well-Known Member

11. GlennInFlorida

Thanks!
    Interesting article - not sure if I agree with the taste observations (my tongue isn't that sophisticated) but Kofola is good stuff.

12. jen

jen Well-Known Member

I personally don't care for Kofola. I feel about it the same way many Czechs feel about root beer, which I love :)

13. petri

petri Well-Known Member

Kofola is a great drink. Especially in the mornings...

14. thebig C

thebig C Well-Known Member

Hey there,

On the subject of Kofola, does anybody know where/if I can buy that in Dublin? I first heard of it when a Czech girl, a friend of a friend, mentioned it to me. :D

In recent years many Central and Eastern Europeans have come to Ireland. As a result loads of grocery shops have sprung up selling all their foods. Obviously most cater to the Polish and Lithuanians, who number about 200,000 but aparently there are about 10,000 Czechs and 20,000 Slovaks in Ireland so i assumed Kofola would be easy to locate. But, after searching several stores...no luck! I even found Cockta, the Slovenian equivilant of Kofola!! :eek:

Can anybody help? Or, will I have to wait until I visit Prague or Bratislava on holiday to taste it?? :wink:

15. minimilk

minimilk New Member

kofola mixed with hanacka jemni vodka is good

16. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Kofola is good stuff, my favourite and only one working "vyprošťovák".

Is somebody able in here to translate this word to english? I could describe it somehow, but there must to be some word with the same meaning english, I hope ;-).

17. eso

eso Well-Known Member

And what it means in Czech? ;)

Anti hangover?

18. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Yes, like that, but "post factum".

Food-you-eat-or-beverage-you-dring-to-get-over-morning-"status"-after-party ;-)

19. GlennInFlorida

just "hangover remedy" in English...

If you take a little alcohol for the same purpose it is called "hair of the dog that bit you"

:wink:

20. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Yes,

co tě pokazilo, to tě také napraví. :wink: