Favorite Czech Beer - Light

A place for gourmet (and not so gourmet) talk. Recipes, restaurants, and more.

Moderators: Sova, gementricxs, My Czech Republic

What's your favorite Czech LIGHT beer? (We will have a separate poll for DARK or BLACK beers)

Bernard (Humpolec)
4%
Bohemia Regent (Třeboň)
3%
Braník (Prague)
3%
Budvar/Budweiser (České Budějovice)
12%
Dačický (Kutná Hora)
No votes
Eggenberg (Český Krumlov)
1%
Gambrinus (Plzeň)
10%
Holba (Hanušovice)
2%
Hostan (Znojmo)
No votes
Ježek (Jihlava)
No votes
Krušovice (Krušovice)
6%
Litovel (Litovel)
2%
Měšťan (Prague)
No votes
Platan (Protivín)
2%
Plzeňský Prazdroj/Pilsner Urquell (Plzeň)
22%
Radegast (Nošovice)
2%
Starobrno (Brno)
4%
Staropramen (Prague)
12%
Velkopopovický Kozel (Velké Popovice)
4%
Zlatopramen (Ústí nad Labem)
3%
Other - please tell us in a post in this forum
8%

Total votes: 100
Doctor When

Postby Doctor When » 07-Mar-06 16:18

Seems like an appropriate place to remember my completely out-of-chatracter for the dark/light mix that seemed to be failry unique to the more mature Czech local - it was pronounced "Jez-arne" or "shez-annay" so I'm sure you can suggest the correct word... a half/half mix of dark & light beers.

As a beer purist, I was originally outraged, but grew to love it over the course of a fortnight! Is it still drunk? And am I right in thinking it's not really a young person's popular choice?

Reminds me of the time I asked for Rauchbier in Nurnburg - I got a double-take from mien host and told it was what "old men drink"!

[edit] PS: I had a quick sneaky vote for Eggenberg beer, as I spent a wonderful evening in the brewery tap in Český Krumlov, and although I can't remember the beer itself, I thought they deserved a mention for being so damn friendly there... And the castle had a moat full of hungry bears!
roibert88

Postby roibert88 » 10-Apr-06 6:26

kozel and staropramen are my favorite czech beers also saris is good its from slovakia
pierre

Postby pierre » 09-Dec-06 13:02

my favorite beer is Gambrinus also Zlaty Bazant (Slovakia) is good. :roll:
Duludka

Postby Duludka » 10-Dec-06 20:31

And Kelt (Slovakia) is also very good
Cornflake

Postby Cornflake » 02-Jan-07 16:26

I've not heard of many of these yet (but I hope to get well aquainted with them all when I visit in March :lol: ) but I have tried Staropramen and Budvar and both are excellent!
Karel_lerak

Postby Karel_lerak » 07-Jan-07 12:44

Doctor When wrote:Seems like an appropriate place to remember my completely out-of-chatracter for the dark/light mix that seemed to be failry unique to the more mature Czech local - it was pronounced "Jez-arne" or "shez-annay" so I'm sure you can suggest the correct word... a half/half mix of dark & light beers.

The czech word is "řezané pivo" and means simply "mixed beer", you can ask for it anywhere the dark and light beer is on tap.
Karel, Praha, Czechia
gypzy

Postby gypzy » 28-Feb-07 10:58

Great news! The grocery store in my town now sells Pilsner Urquelle! I am soooo happy! Just thought I would share my happiness. Everyone else is like, ok :roll: . I will try to get everyone I know to buy it so that the store will continue to sell it.
I think too much
saillael

Postby saillael » 30-Jul-07 18:11

My daughter's semester at Charles University resulted in a broad knowledge of Czech beer-ology (with no harm to her GPA). When I went to visit her in Prague, she shared her knowledge with me, and I must say that she was a good teacher.

I learned that Pilzner Urquell is light and crisp, but still full of nuanced taste. We are lucky enough to have it on draft at a pub here in Atlanta - an Irish pub!

I also fell for Kursovice and Staropramen (which we can buy in bottles, but haven't found on draft :().

But our favorite is Gambrinus which we cannot find here? Does anyone know if they export to America?

BTW for reasons other than its freshness, beer tastes better in Prague. I call it the atmospheric affect.
woyzeck

Postby woyzeck » 31-Jul-07 11:05

My favourites are Gamìbrinus , Stari Brno ( Crnie ) , Plenskiy Prozdoy , Staropramen, ......
"bianca come la vodka, trasparente sulla neve"
brcek

Postby brcek » 20-Jan-08 21:42

Krusovice is the best :o