Roast Duck (Pecena Kachna) recipe

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Basek, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Basek

Basek New Member

Hello All ~

I am justing looking for a recipe for Roast Duck (Pecena Kachna). I know that it involves caraway seeds, but that's as far as my knowledge goes. Would someone have a recipe to pass on?

Thank you!
    Paula Jo

2. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

1 5-pound duck
    1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds (a bit more if you like)
    salt to taste
    2 cups water

Clean and wash duck. Sprinkle with salt and caraway seeds inside and out. Pour 1 cup water into roasting pan, put in duck breast down, cover and roast in a 350 degree oven for 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Turn duck and roast, uncovered, for about another hour. During roasting, pierce skin several times, skim off excess fat, and add more water as needed. Serve with dumplings and sauerkraut. Serves 4.

not real fancy, but tastes pretty good

3. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

Glenn, you have whet my appetite. I have not had roast duck/goose for years - atleast 28. My mother, a terrific Czech cook, use to make it for Christmas and it was crisp, greaseless and delicious. Her cabage (and it should not be mistaken for sauerkraut) and "knedliky" were supurb.

I will need to convince the family that that is what we are having for Christmas dinner this year. They are traditional and conservative in their tastes, so I will need to approach cautiously, but if not for Christmas, then definately for New Years.

By the way, the recipe you wrote is exactly the way mom use to cook it. In fact, she wrote the recipe down for me and that is it.

Oh, I am so hungry now for roast duck.....

4. DanielZ

DanielZ Well-Known Member

Glen,

We're doing your duck recipe for the 2nd Christmas Eve in a row. We also do zeli (fresh), knedliky, and makové kolache.

Merry Christmas to everyone here,
    Dan

5. GlennInFlorida

Merry Christmas to you, too!
    Hope the duck turns out great!

6. DanielZ

It was fantastic!

We put the duck in the oven, went to afternoon Mass, came home, turned the duck over, made the zeli and knedliky, took the duck out when it was done and it was a most beautiful sight, crispy, tanned and brown.

It tasted like a duck one has in Nerudová street!

Dan

7. DanielZ

Glen,

I am making your roast duck for the 3rd Christmas Eve in a row. We'll have it for supper, with (fresh) zelí, knedliky and kolače.

Merry Christmas to all the members of this forum.

Peace,
    Dan

8. GlennInFlorida

I envy you...

Have a wonderful Christmas! :D

9. DanielZ

Glen,

I am making your roast duck for the 4th Christmas Eve in a row. We'll have it for supper, with (fresh) zelí, knedliky and kolače.

Merry Christmas to all the members of this forum.

I need to make a rubber stamp of this post. LOL

Peace,
    Dan

10. GlennInFlorida

Super!

Merry Christmas to all!