Help with Oriskove Obloucky-What is White Wafer Sheet?

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by jpnekola, Nov 27, 2007.

1. jpnekola

jpnekola New Member

Hi
    Sorry I can't punctuate the recipie name properlly but my book translates it to Hazelnut Arches.

My husband has asked me to make this recipie and I have a book that has been translated to English. I need to know what White Wafer Sheets are? Is this the same as parchment paper? Here is how the recipie reads:

3 egg whites
    1 1/3 cups superfine sugar
    2 cups ground hazelnuts
    3-4 White Wafer Sheets 8 x 11 inches.
    Beat egg whites until stiff. Fold in sugar mixed with nuts. Spread about 1/4 inch thick over wafer sheets. Cut through paper into strips 3/4 inch wide by 4 inches long. Greast the outside bottom of a fluted loaf pan. lay strips on to to shape them into arches. Bake.

Any help would be appreciated or any suggestions for a similar recipie would be great.

Thanks.

2. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

These are what I know as Karlovarske Oplatky - they are usually round and thin unlevened and baked wafers. They are NOT the same as parchment paper.

If you eat sugar wafers, they are like the wafer (not exactly the same, but very similar)
    [​IMG]

I was able to buy them in any good German Deli - mainly in New York City

This place makes them and ships -
    http://www.waferjp.8m.com/firmaen.html

and another:
    http://www.wafercookie.com/index.htm

I make a Pishinger Torte:

1 cup hazelnuts
    1/2 lb. good milk chocolate
    1/2 lb good dark chocolate
    1 tsp Vanilla
    6-8 Vanilla Wafers

Toast nuts in 300F oven for half hour. Cool and grind fine. Melt the dark chocolate in a double boiler. Add in the ground nuts and vanilla and mix well. Spread mixture across first wafer. Put another wafer on top of the first. Add the spread and repeat until all the wafers are gone or the mixture is gone. Do not put any filling on the top of the last wafer. Put something heavy on top of the layers and let stand over night. Melt the milk chocolate (or you can use more dark chocolate) and spead over the torte - use a spatula to spread evenly across top and sides. Allow topping to harden at room temperature for a glossy sheen. Then refrigerate and serve the next day.

[​IMG]

3. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

4. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

I believe Wafer Paper is differnet than Oplatky. Wafer Paper is more like communion wafers - I have seen it on the bottom of Gingerbread cookies (pernicky)(sorry no "hacky" on my computer).

5. dzurisova

6. wer

wer Well-Known Member

I guess it should be this:

[​IMG]

No, these are “lázeňské oplatky” (= spa wafers). That’s a complete product. The “oplatky” you need is a semi-product.

The basic meaning of word “oplatek/oplatka” is a thin and flat crisp biscuit. A derived meaning is buscuit made by placing a filling between several layers of “oplatkas”. I think it is the very same as “wafer” in English.

7. dzurisova

Ok, I'm going to retire my overly ambitious research skills now. :lol:

8. Troll

Troll Well-Known Member

My twopence:

The Czech word oplatka came from Latin:

oblata (verb offerre, oblatum) - offering, oblation, sacrifice, gift

hostia (Eng. host) has the same meaning.

In Czech:

oplatka - any wafer
    hostie - a thin, round wafer made from azym and used for Holy Communion

9. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Recipe seems similar to meringue. Wafer paper is nothing like wafers but very thin white edible paper like sheet. Advantage is that you can eat the whole thing.

I would use any baking paper i.e. paper you line cookie sheet with. Of course, then you have to peel it off/not eat it. Greese it well. Let us know if it works. Try it with few and if it doesn't work, then make "pusinky (kisses)" by dropping dough on lined cookie sheet with small spoon. Bake in low temperature (more like dry it out).
    Good luck.