First Starbucks Cafe open in Prague

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by brcek, Jan 18, 2008.

1. brcek

brcek Member

:eek: Now in Grömlingovsky paláce could the czechs taste this famous cafe, and not so cheap, we will see how is the expectations... :?:

2. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

I've also heard that there should be one in Palladium shopping mall.
    Let's see what the prices will be. I was in Starbucks only in London and the prices were a bit more than what would I pay for a coffee. If the prices are similar as in London Starbucks I won't be going there for a coffee with muffin.

3. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

Why go to starbucks when there are so many great teahouses here in the Czech Republic?

4. wissy

wissy Well-Known Member

Quite right Sigma.
    Don't let Starbucks take over the world. Remember MacDonalds. :( :wink:

5. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

Starbucks are like flies on poop - they are everywhere over here. We have five of them in the airport where I work, one in the landside terminal and one in each of the airside terminals. They are trendy and overpriced, mostly selling high-calorie "milkshakes" for adults.
    I'll take our local Cuban cafe con leche or cafe solo with a piece of Cuban bread toast instead anyday.
    A lot of people really like Starbucks, if you do, fine-enjoy. But, as for me, I think I'll pass.

By the way, on a side note, I guess I'll have to hunt for McDonald's for a late night snack in Wenceslas Square - I read that all the sausage stands are being removed.

6. wissy

wissy Well-Known Member

Quite true Glenn, what a shame it will be. For me it will take away a bit of the character of the square not to mention the lovely smell of the cooking. :wink:

http://www.radio.cz/en/article/98710

7. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

8th December 2007. Nice date to remember. It is the date of my last visit of McD for a long, long time.

I saw advertisement in London underground all that day - Double Cheesburger for just 1.19Ł, so I bought one finally.

This it is, and nothing more, (that is it? SUCH SMALL?)
    Quoth the raven, 'Nevermore'. (you're right raven :x)

Sorry, Mac, and sorry, Poe,
    I'm just sayin', Nevermore.

8. gementricxs

Have you seen the commercial for KFC's "Longer" ? It looked pretty big in the commercial, plus it's called Longer and when you get it it's damn too small. It's like half size compared to what you see in the commercial.

9. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

I even bought one. My first, and last visit in KFC. They advertise "Longer" and for some odd reason sell "Shorter". Colonel Sanders must be spinning in his grave.

No more poems :roll:

10. brcek

brcek Member

Well, at last another place to go, is great when u have several place to choose, is not a tea place like someone wrote before, like southamerican we love cofee and hate tea, but a interensting place taking some cake o cofee(yeah we know a expensive one!!), but give some prestige this kind of places (see more info at http://www.denik.cz/ekonomika/starbucks20080118.html ) 8)

11. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

I agree that's a little much. :shock: Must be a big airport! :)

I am also a bit worried about Starbucks taking over and pushing out the little guys. But I hope it won't be as bad as some predict. After all, the Starbucks concept is a little different from your traditional café. As far as I know, Café Louvre won't sell you coffee to go. I also assume that Starbucks is smoke free, even in Prague where finding a non-smoking café is a ridiculously difficult endeavor. And I don't think an occasional "coffee milkshake" will harm anyone. I tend to agree with brcek. At least there's another place to go. All of us can choose where we have our coffee, right? If you don't like Starbucks, don't go there. It looks like enough people like it though, otherwise the chain wouldn't be doing so well.

Let's see how the city (or whoever's in charge) handles the Starbucks expansion in Prague. Some airports obviously don't handle it very well! :wink:

12. GlennInFlorida

Hi Dana,

take a look at www.tampaairport.com
    and in particular http://www.tampaairport.com/about/photo ... /index.asp

that is our airport website - we are a medium sized airort but the reason we have 5 starbucks is because of our layout. Starbucks is popular so we try to make them available to anyone at the airport. Everyone can go to the landside terminal but only ticketed passengers can go to the airside terminals (connected to the landside by automatic shuttle trains) and they (the ticketed passengers) can only go to the airside where their flight is. There is no connection between the airsides except through the landside terminal. We also have restaurants, newstands, and retail stores at each of the airsides and at the landside terminal. We handle about 20 million passengers a year (about the same as Prague, I think) and have been consistently ranked as one of the top one or two airports of our size in the world (yes, world, not just US).

Anyway, I still think there are way too many Starbucks (I also drive past two of them on the three mile trip from home to work) but, who am I to say? A lot of people must really like them. Hope they handle things well in Prague - if they do, I'll buy you and Jeff a Grande Latte next time I'm in town (soon I hope) :D

13. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

Actually, you might not have to worry about that. I also remember reading a couple years ago, in an article on that same site, that Starbucks' coffee has more caffeine than your run-of-the-mill coffee, at least in the US. That's how they get people hooked, literally. You think it's the atmosphere, but it's really the caffeine fix. :shock:

14. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for the links. It looks like a very pleasant airport. And I can almost smell the warm, humid Florida air from the pics. :) So the Tampa airport does handle the Starbucks situation well enough - no one passenger can ever run into all of them, just two at the most if I'm counting correctly.

Well, thank you very much! I don't imagine that we'll be dragging you into Starbucks on your visit. That somehow doesn't sound right... But if we happen to end up there for some reason, there's another drink I'd like to request. ;)

15. gementricxs

I personally don't think there's gonna be lot of Starbucks in Prague, definitely not as much as in US or UK. Actually I think the only I've visited which has Starbucks was London and in the center of London there's literally a Starbucks Cafe on every corner.
    I think Sturbucks CZ will be aiming for different customers than regular Czech Cafes. They will probably compete only with Heaven's Cafe (I think it's called like that), which is aimed at tourist and rich Czechs. Heaven's Cafe is in Kotva, Na Prikope and other prime locations, Starbucks should be in Mala Strana and Palladium. All of it are mainly tourist locations.
    Heaven's Cafe has their menus in English only outside the Cafe I believe and the prices are really touristic, price for a coffee ranges from 80 - 120 Kc ( as far as I can remember), Starbucks will be probably very similar to this.

16. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Do you mean Coffee Heaven?

Speaking of prices, has anyone been to the Prague Starbucks? What are the prices?

17. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

That's very good news. So we may really be able to simply enjoy the variety and welcome Starbucks to Prague with open arms.

Very interesting! I wonder if it's true - if people can really become Starbucks junkies and not be able to get their fix elsewhere. According to the article you linked to above, it is typically not the case.

18. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

I personally do NOT like Starbucks. The coffee is too strong for me and bitter, even the Decaf. I prefer Dunkin Donuts - which has stores in only the US and Canada. Their coffee is mellower and not as strong tasting. And their donuts - WOW - light, fluffy, creamy, although some people prefer Krispy Kreme Donuts - another US chain that has stores only in the US and Canada. In fact, people wait for Krispy Creme donuts to come out fresh so they can eat them while still warm - and they are good then.

19. GlennInFlorida

yeah... I'm a Krispy Kreme boy. Even used to sell them door-to-door on Sundays when I was a kid. They were 50 cents a dozen and we made a whole 10 cents on each box (they were only 40 cents a dozen in the store). don't get to eat them much any more - just not on the diet.

20. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Can we change the subject please? I now REALLY feel like a Krispy Kreme Original Glazed (or two, or three...) and, alas, have no way of getting my hands on one! :cry: Glenn, how many can you fit in your luggage? :D