Bulgarian Beer

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Alexx, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Moderator note: Split from original topic It is really Greek to me.

I remember I saw huge advertisment for Загорка on one building somewhere from bus, but the bus was going through both Stara and Nova Zagora. Now I know it was in Stara Zagora.

As a czech fan of beer I have to know about competitors in Europe. Bulgarian beer is good, but its color is too "light". Just compare a glass of Staropramen and glass of Загорка, Шуменско, Каменица or Леденика. Staropramen has color beer should have ;-) (I cannot remember other brands now)

Btw, where are those beers produced? Шуменско is obvious, but the other two?

2. alhio

alhio Member

off-topic

The colour of local beer is a problem.It is far from the amberlike colour of Czech beers.I remember first time my girlfriend (who is Czech) saw Bulgarian beer :lol:
    Каменица is produced in Plovdiv
    Леденика is produced in Mezdra

3. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Alhio, I am just curious: how much (leva) is glass of beer (0,5l) in regular pub in place where there are no turists? I have only been to the coast and to Sofia, so I just want to compare.

Tip for others who want to visit Bulgaria - beer Леденика/Ledenika is usually cheaper than the others, it is because it is served in 0,4l glasses.

Sorry for off topic :) we should move this beer talk to Food&Drink category.

4. alhio

alhio Member

off-topic

The prices in BG recently are getting higher but nevertheless they are lower then oter european countries. Right now you could have a pint of beer (some 500 ml) in a pub outside tourist areas for about 1.20-1.50 leva (16-20 Kč) - for Загорка, Каменица, Шуменско etc. In Sofia beer normally costs about 1.80-2.20 leva.
    My favourite bg beer is Ариана. The brewery was founded more than hundred years ago by two Czech brothers. Now it is possessed by Heiniken. Ариана is middle-class beer which is comparable to Branik, Ježek, Klašterní.
    I haven't tried Леденика for long time but for sure it costs lower than the average beers on the market.

5. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

So it is about the same prices we paid on the coast last summer. I do not know Ариана, the only served those four I mentioned before, and Бургаско. (and Staropramen, Heineken, and Stella).

I am starting looking forward to my next trip to Bulgaria :)