Czech Rye Bread

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Ark1tec, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Ark1tec

Ark1tec Well-Known Member

I like black rye bread is the Czech rye bread different then?

2. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

I would say it's most likely different than what you are used to seeing. Czech rye bread is very special. :D

3. thebig C

thebig C Well-Known Member

Hope this isn't posted under the wrong topic, but, is there special bread from the Moravia Region?

I have tried loads of Polish and Lithuanian breads, many of them are dark or made from Rye. I always thought they tasted very similar.

However, I was talking to a Czech girl about missing all the products and food from home and she told me the thing she misses most is bread.

So obviously, the other European breads taste very different to Cz bread. However, she is from Zlin, so maybe they just have some sort of speciality bread??? :) :)

4. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Czech bread is special. You can get it also in areas of Poland, Germany, Austria near Czech border. And I guess in Slovakia too.

It's actually wheat/rye bread I believe.

I read article, how it has to be specially manufactured for Czech soldiers abroad.

5. eso

eso Well-Known Member

6. thebig C

Thanks eso! I see what you are saying. The ingredients may be similar but there are obviously subtle differences. I guess when you are far from home absence makes the heart grow fonder :D

7. thebig C

8. eso

eso Well-Known Member

9. thebig C

Thanks. I had seen this, it popped up when I googled Czech Bread! :)

There is a Czech Bar in Dublin. I found Kofola there. Anyway, their website advertises Czech Bread, but, I had a meal there and the bread seemed to be a like a sliced round loaf? Maybe I will pay another visit and ask about it....its a good excuse to visit the Bar again! Although....Irishmen don't usually need excuses to go to pubs!! :D

10. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Wasnt it "houskový knedlík"? :

[​IMG]

English translation is Bread dumplings, but in fact it's something completely different from Czech bread

11. eso

eso Well-Known Member

This is Czech bread:

[​IMG]

12. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Awh, that looks so good. Now I want to go to Chicago for dinner tonight. I'm sure it won't happen though. :(

There's nothing like home made dumplings. I buy mine in the store and they do alright, but they sure don't taste like the real thing.

13. thebig C

Thanks for all your help! :)

I had steak in a sauce, but, it had bread arranged arond the plate just like your picture. However, whilst the bread was the same shape it had a texture more like the bread in your 2nd picture.

14. eso

eso Well-Known Member

There is also bramborový knedlík - potato dumpling:

[​IMG]

15. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

Those pics look sooooo good! It's making me hungry!

16. thebig C

That does look very good! :D :D

17. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Did they look more like this?
    http://www.czech.cz/pic.aspx?id=28691&lang=en-US

That's how the ones I buy look. They are ok, but not as good as the home made. (Sorry, but I couldn't get the image to post, only the link)

18. thebig C

Actually they looked extremely like that!

I was off work early today so I went to the Czech Inn again. I had a dish that was fried Edam Cheese in breadcrumbs. Very nice, but heavy :eek: :) Anyway, I ordered some or their bread, it was more like (in shape) the loaves you guys have been showing me but a little darker and slightly sour. Nice though. :)

A girl in the bar told me there is a Slovak shop in central Dublin, their advertising is very poor as it took me ages to locate their address via the Net. So, maybe Slovak bread is very similar to Czech??

19. Ani

Ani Well-Known Member

Eso, is this the bread that is sold as Sumava (I think that's what it's called in the supermarket). It is slightly darker and seems to have some seeds in it as well. What are they? I love the taste of this bread :D

20. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

Ok I don’t know how relevant it is today because I’m older then dirt …. But in my day each town had it’s own bakery and was supplying fresh bread to local stores and sometimes even few surrounding villages.

Is it still like that?

Anyways the reason I’m pointing it out is that since the bread was made from scratch locally there was always little deviation in recipes from town to town. So the bread I remember was the best in my book and was little different then the bread my best friend liked the best coz she was living 30 miles away from where I grew up.