Brown Sugar in Prague

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Moshi_Mochi, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Moshi_Mochi

Moshi_Mochi New Member

I'm an avid baker in Prague for the year, and I'm really distressed by my inability to find brown sugar. It can't just be an American thing, right? I have my doubts because molasses isn't even in my Czech-English dictionary. My host mother thinks I'm talking about organic cane sugar, and the very flustered man at Tesco just about thrust the entire baking aisle at me. Please, if anyone knows what I'm talking about, could you tell me where to buy it? I've already tried Tesco, Billa, and Albert. My cookies cry for help...

Thanks,

Mochi

2. jen

jen Well-Known Member

Hypernova has something like American brown sugar, but it's not quite as moist. There are two brands....let me run to the kitchen real quick....

Ok, we've got přírodní cukr in a brown and white plastic bag from a company called VUC PRAHA and přírodní třtinový cukr in an orange-yellow resealable plastic bag from TTD/Elan do života.

They work just fine in every recipe I've tried them in so far :)

3. Moshi_Mochi

Moshi_Mochi New Member

Dekuju moc moc moc!!!! Hypernova is the one at Chodov, right?

-Moshi

4. jen

jen Well-Known Member

There is one there, yes...it has other locations as well, but I suppose that's the most easily accessible by metro. Good luck - it'll be in the baking supplies aisle with the other sugars.

5. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Another one near metro is in Nove Butovice

6. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

:D When I first saw the title of the thread, I thought it was something to do with the Rolling Stones!

7. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Well-Known Member

Me too :) I was already looking forward to a Rolling Stones cover band :)