need help with buchta

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by gatorgrl, Nov 28, 2008.

1. gatorgrl

gatorgrl New Member

I am trying (and trying!) to make buchta. My grandmother used to make is. I never SAW her make it, so it is difficult. She verbally gave me the recipe. However, when I bake it, all of the filling oozes out of the top where the end of the roll is and it pulls apart there as it rises in the oven. Am I rolling it incorrectly? Am I spreading the filling too close to the edge? Any advice would be MOST welcome as there is nobody left in the family who even tries to keep the Czech cooking traditions going...I have managed to almost replicate the Kolache she made, but the buchta has been impossible for me!

2. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I am not sure but guess you are talking about buchty (filled sugar buns) made from a soft yeast dough that start out about 3" by 4" by 3/4" thick. If so, put them on a buttered cake pan (cookie sheet) side by side after you fill them and have pinched the short edges together. Let them rise for 30 minutes or so before you put them in the oven. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes (keep an eye on them towards the end). Turn them out to cool on a wire rack. Separate and sprinkle with sugar. Should be ok :)

BTW got this info from a fairly old (1965) Czechoslovak Cookbook by Joza Brizova that I have used in the past with a good degree of success.

3. Nikl

Nikl Active Member

What about to try make BUCHTY from this video:
    http://www.catvusa.com/index.php?page=new_czech_kitchen