Family Life

Discussion in 'Culture' started by skate007, Apr 3, 2005.

1. skate007

skate007 Active Member

What does the Czechs' family life look like? Do parents spend a lot of time with children and teenagers? Do families do lots of things together? eating meals, playing games, going out, traviling... ?
    ~Kaitlyn

2. Katty

Katty Active Member

it depends. Every family is different. But Id say most of the parents arent interested in their children as they shoud be.

3. evian

evian Well-Known Member

I have read that Czech families, along with most other Eastern-European families are very protective of their children. I would imagine this would be the same for host-students also.

4. I would really like to hear some more responses from czechs on this issue. I just recently got engaged to my czech boyfriend and we have already decided that as soon as the honeymoon begins, we are working on having kids! But I am curious as to how czechs are with their kids. I am Italian and we are very much into our kids. Over protective, but always interested in their lives until we die. My soon-to-be husband's mother was very into him and his brothers' but his father couldn't have cared less. Still doesn't really care. He told him that we got engaged and his reply was "good for you". My fiance' said that growing up, his dad almost never came to his baseball games, soccer games, plays, etc. His mom would, but his dad always said he was busy with work or something.

I guess I really wanna ask: how are czech men at being fathers? I am not sure if he will be able to express alot of love and affection for our kids (Italians do it towards EVERYONE, not just their kids). Czechs are notorious for not showing or expressing feelings and affections. Are most of the fathers real strong on discipline or do they have that "let the mother handle it" attitude? I am most curious as to the responses I can get. Mainly from czech men or women married to czech men. Thanks :D

5. usak

usak Well-Known Member

heh hopefully you wont predict how your future husband will act based on stereotypes!

6. Of course not, but sometimes you must agree that what some people consider "stereotypes" are truly just traits inherent to some cultures. He even admitted that czechs can be extreme on the parental issue. Either totally involved or totally uninvolved. I am just curious about the vast majority of them in this area. My fiance' says that maybe he feels differently because he was raised in the states and that he has noticed that americans tend to be more involved in the things their kids do, especially team sports, arts and music things, etc. He used to notice as a kid how many parents (both moms and dads) would show up to every baseball game and soccer game they had and when he was in plays and things, other kids had both parents there yet he did not. He went on hunting, fishing and camping trips all the time with the families of friends and admired how all the dads seemed to be involved in what they did.

Even in school matters, his mother was always the one who came when he was sick or got into trouble and needed to see the principal. And no, she was not a "stay-at-home" mother. She worked a full time job as well as his father. He and his brothers make it sound like this is how the majority of czech men act and I would like some different, non relative opinions on it. That's all. I think he will make a wonderful father, he is very loving, but very "wishy-washy". And at times he has the habit of becoming self absorbed and I just wanted to know if it was just him or do alot of czech men behave that way. Thanks!!

7. jess honey

jess honey New Member

my boyfriend now fiance was an exchange student from Czech when i first met him and through the years i have learned alot about the Czech family life there. i mean im sure that ur fiance will be a great dad since u say that yall both are really into being protected and really want children. but yes every family is different most of the dads work a lot so they dont really have much time for their children. my fiance's mom passed away when he was very young so his dad is working 7days a week and by the time he comes home normaly around 9 or 10 at night he is really tired or in not the best mood. my fiance is the oldest so he basicaly had to take care of his younger brother all his life his dad just really never had time for them. but that is just my fiance's family which is much different because most familes have a mother. so the little that i know i hope it helped u out a little bit.

8. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

To bella_italiana: One suggestion of how to get an idea what kind of father he will be is to spend time around couples with small children, and see how he reacts to the children. Does he interact with them, play with them, ignore them? How he reacts, however, may also depend on the situation, such as how well does he know the children and/or parents (e.g. if he's uncomfortable with them, he may not open up at all), so the more such events, the better the idea you'll get.

9. Martina

Martina Active Member

I grew up in the Czech Republic during Communism, and from my personal observation at that time. I feel I should point out these few general (maybe stereotypical) facts.

1. Czech people and especially men don't say their children they love them. If it happens it'll be the weaker (non romantic miluju te) version of love " Mam Te rad/a" (I like you) and it'll be rare. I remember my father hugging me once in a lifetime, when I was maybe 8 and came back from summer camp. (he hasn't seen me for 3 weeks). So don't expect your man be a touchy and huggy person, unless it's his personality trait. The fact you love your child is considered obvious not needing to express or show every day.

2. The parents are usually fairly strict, and they don't have much time to spend with children. Most mothers and fathers work full-time jobs, and even two jobs. Then women go to their second shift at home, cleaning and cooking, so there is very little time left for parenthood.

3. I sang in a childrens choir when I was young and most parents would come to see their kids in a concert, which was once in about 3 month or so including christmas concert. At least one parent or member of family would be present there, not necessarily both parents. Work comes first.

4. Czech people don't spoil their children. ( Of course there are exceptions ) If you throw paper on the floor, you must pick it up! If you cry without reason (you wanted the toy in the shop window, but you are not getting it) you might get spanking so that you have reason to cry. Tantrums are not tolerated.

5. The good thing I believe is we are taught as youngsters the old-fashioned values. The children are made thoughtful of their surroundings and we were not taught to waste things, especially food. But also napkins are considered unnecessary waste, when you can wash your hands. Hand washing practice was very common. Wash hands when you come from playground, and then again before and after a meal and of course after you use toilet.

That's all I can think of now. And it's not necessarily true for each family, as each family is different. However, it may be common for most families that grew up during communist regime. I believe western practices are now more and more adopted. And to a certain degree, Czechs are fairly adjustable to new (better) ways.