pomlazky

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Anonymous, May 3, 2001.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

does anyone have information on a european tradition called pomlazki? How is it practiced in actuallity?

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

I heard about this the other day. I have a few comments.....
    a) Is it offensive and degrading to women?
    b) Does it amount to physical abuse
    c) Would anyone inflicting this on someone who does not consent be convicted of Common Assault or more probably ABH, and possibly even of Indecent Assault On A Woman?
    d) It all sounds rather perverse to me.
    e) I know a (married) Czech lady in her 20s, and she has said that she was beaten in this way when she was young: yes it hurt, yes it made her cry, yes she resigned herself to the fact that it would happen. If the Czech Republic were part of the EC, clearly it would not be allowed to retain this tradition under the European Convention on Human Right. Certainly in this country, I would expect anyone carrying out such an act to be put away.

Just my thoughts. Can anyone explain why on earth this tradition exists and/or is a good thing?

Bob the Biller

4. Heather

Heather Member

OH MY GOSH !!!

I just read about this tradition and I can't believe it is real. I have much wonderful friends that are Czech and intend to ask about this (as soon as I figure out how to translate it). By reading, it makes me believe maybe it is old tradition, during Communist rule? I am curious to know though, will keep an eye out for answers.

5. Veronika

Veronika Member

I guess noone who is not from Czech and who have not stayed there during Easter will understand this tradition. I'm 23, now living in Canada and Velikonoce (Easter) is one of the holidays I miss so much. I have only the best memories on this day. I have never cryed from pain. The beating is only symbolic. It is so much fun. If you are not the person who enjoys painting eggs, cooking and having a bath 10 times day, you are just not at home or you don't open the door. I tell you, it is one of the best holiday in Czech.

6. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Oh my goodness!! It is not the way it sounds!

Pomlazka is a very old Czech Easter tradition. It has nothing to do with communism (it existed long before communism itself) and is not meant or understood to be abusive or harrasing towards women. To answer your questions Bob:

a) Is it offensive and degrading to women?
    Some women are not particularly fond of this tradition (myself included) and may consider it degrading but then they simply don't open the door when the doorbell rings, just like what Veronika said. No woman is forced to participate in this custom.

b) Does it amount to physical abuse?
    Pomlazka in no way amounts to physical abuse! It is just a fun tradition and the "beating" is not really serious. It may hurt some, but it really is no big deal and again, if you don't like it, you don't let anyone in the door.

c) Would anyone inflicting this on someone who does not consent be convicted of Common Assault or more probably ABH, and possibly even of Indecent Assault On A Woman?
    I can imagine this scenario happening only in the United States... [​IMG] What we are talking about here is a very old, harmless tradition that has been performed for centuries and is meant to be a celebration of the spring, health, and probably womanhood. I cannot imagine even in my dreams that a situation you have described would actually arise in the Czech Republic. If performing this Easter custom could legally be brought to court under the label of assault, then women might as well start suing their husbands (where applicable) for expecting them to cook, clean, do the laundry, take care of the children, etc. etc., IN ADDITION to having a full time job - because that itself can be regarded as "inflicting something on someone who does not consent". I'm sure there are better examples of abusive behavior towards women than pomlazka (in most cases probably taking place more frequently than just one day of the year) that, however, are considered to be perfectly acceptable by the society.

d) It all sounds rather perverse to me.
    It may sound like it, but it really is not.

e) I know a (married) Czech lady in her 20s, and she has said that she was beaten in this way when she was young: yes it hurt, yes it made her cry, yes she resigned herself to the fact that it would happen. If the Czech Republic were part of the EC, clearly it would not be allowed to retain this tradition under the European Convention on Human Right. Certainly in this country, I would expect anyone carrying out such an act to be put away.
    Every Czech girl and woman has the right to refuse to participate in this custom (as I have myself several times), so the European Convention on Human Rights would have no case here. Yes, I agree that in the USA people might be put away for carrying out an innocent act like this one, as we have sadly witnessed in the case of a 6-year old boy who was suspended from school for kissing his classmate. That to me is perverse...

Czech Easter traditions represent a very colorful and rich part of the Czech folklore. Besides the immense religious meaning of Easter, most of the related customs are meant to celebrate new life and freshness of the spring and are not intended to be degrading or abusive to anyone. To the majority of Czech people, pomlazka is one of the most fun and enjoyable traditions of the year.

7. Heather

Heather Member

Thank You Dana for explanation. I feel much better now.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Hey Bob
    I'm a British guy (who moved here from Canada two years ago) marrying a Czech girl in June and the first time I heard of this tradition I was horrified. But it's great. I just spent Easter in Prague and the girls there were all looking forward to it. The guys knock on the door, the girls squeal and run away (but not too fast, if you get my drift) and everyone has a good time. I still think it's a bizarre but harmless tradition with some pretty misogynistic roots but everyone honestly looked to me like they were having a great time. Of course the point is to "lightly slap" the ass. If you get overzealous it's a little frowned upon. And like Dana said, it's not mandatory to take part. It's like a nationwide version of "boys chase the girls". I agree with Dana. It sounds bad but it's actually a hoot.