Czech sausage recipes

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by tabletophomestead, Nov 4, 2005.

1. I'm an American of Czech descent. My family and I live on a small farm where we still prepare much of our own food, do our own butchering, etc. I'm having trouble finding recipes for Czech sausage. Does anyone have any or can you direct me to websites, etc. where I might find such recipes. Thank you.

2. Ruzete

Ruzete Well-Known Member

After looking in my Czech cookbooks i found nothing but Sauerkraut and Sausage Soup.I checked on the internet and found the recipe for Kolbasy i wasn't sure if u planned to prepare the sausage or if you wanted a recipe to use it in, but here it is for smoked sausage:

http://www.recipe4all.com/recipe/Home-S ... zech-5661/

tell me if u want the soup one...

3. This is exactly what I'm looking for, recipes for the actual preparation or making of the sausage itself. I have a lot of fresh pork that I want to use.

Thanks! If you find any more I'd love to see them.

Judy

4. I found a recipe for "yirtrnicky" (jiternice, jaternice?) in a sausage making book I have and actually have tackled it this weekend. As I previously posted, we butcher our own pigs so I had access to all the fresh ingredients. It's simmering now and smells wonderful despite what's in it. LOL. In some research I found reference to something called cream sausage. Does anyone know what this is?

Judy

5. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

Is this also called blood sausage?

6. Petronela

Petronela Well-Known Member

I may have it wrong but isn’t “jelito” blood sausage? Or would it be “tlacenka”?
    Ok, now I’m hungry.
    “Jiternice” are more similar to bratwurst (probably spelled it wrong) I think.

7. MK

MK Well-Known Member

8. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

huspenina (sulc) - i believe it might be called "brawn" in english????

and just want to add to the tlacenka (headcheese in english i believe?) that there are also two kinds - one made with the blood as well

and if you go for jelita, the ones with the pear barley are better than the ones with the bread (personal opinion of course)

i have a bunch of recipes somewhere - will try and track them down (and translate if you need?)

9. Polednikova

Polednikova Well-Known Member

I've not come across husenina yet but I think what I call brawn is tlacenka. A dense mixture of bits of meat in aspic? Headcheese isn't an expression I've heard used in England - it might be an American word.

10. Irena M

Irena M Well-Known Member

Meat in aspic is called Headcheese here in the US.

11. meluzina

i am truly not sure about the english terminology - although they are simialr, huspenina is different from tlacenka - i like the latter - don't really care for the former... maybe some one know the right terms for it based on the inredients and process....

huspenina recipe: (this is one i found quickly on the internet - i have seen many different variations though)

1.5 kg of the leaner meat from head, including skin
    1 kg of pork feet
    250 g of skin
    1 carrot
    2 onions
    1 tablespoon salt
    10 peppercorns
    1 teaspoon ground pepper
    1 bay leaf
    5 cloves garlic
    4 tablespoons canned peas
    vinegar
    pinch of sugar

process:

wash the meat from the head, the feet and skin in warm water nad let cook - pressure cooker is best. Add one onion, salt, peppercorms and bay leaf. When comes to a boil, skim of the foam, cover pot and let cook at slow boil for about one hour. Towards the end, add the carrot and second onion.

Remove and debone the meat. Set the skin aside and cube meat. Grind the skins. Finely chop the carrot and onion and mix with the meat and skin. Add the peas. Flavor with pepper, minced garlic, vinegar and, as deired, with a bit of sugar.

Mix together well. Add spices according to taste. Pour into a baking tin - let cook for about 2 minutes and then let cool - can either leave in pan or put into bowl or other container.

tlacenka:

500 ml of broth
    1 onion
    .5 k pork liver
    1.5. kg pork knuckle
    2 kg pork head
    1 kg pork tongue

spices according to taste:
    ground allspice
    ground black pepper
    salt
    sweet marjoram
    garlic

Process:

SLowly cook the cleaned and washed meat - but not until fully soft (not event the skin which is used as "connectin" material). Peel the anion and chop finely - sautee lihtly in lard.

Debone the meat. Peal the tongue. Chop up - the lenaer meat in bigger pieces - the fattier meat more finely.

Slice the liver into 1.5-2 cm thick slices and blanceh in hot water in order to ensure they are not raw in the middle but they cannot be overdone and hard. Then chop into small cubes.

Mix all together in large bowl with onion. Add the broth from the meat (after skimming fat). Add garlic salt and other spices. Mix well.

Place the mixture in the "packaging" (tradionally stomach is used, but there are plastic sachs available). Boil for 1.5 - 2 hours. Remove, rinse and prick with fork in order to allow air to escape.

Turn every so often while cooling in order to ensure that the meat, spices amd skin are evenly disrtibuted.

12. meluzina

found a uk site for "head cheese" : http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/535161

which is what tlacenka would be called in the u.s. - what would the huspenina be called? it is defintiely different in taste - just based on the ingredients (it has much more aspic - one of the reasons i don't like it) whereas the tlacenka has much more meat...

13. meluzina

at this point i am very very confused :( i think it might be one of those things where the terminology crosses over and it is difficult to find an exact match for translating ????

btw also found this brawn recipe: http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/534806

14. F Trnka

F Trnka New Member

Re: tabletophomestead - "I found a recipe for "yirtrnicky" (jiternice, jaternice?) in a sausage making book I have and actually have tackled it this weekend."

I'd be interested to know which sausage making book you found the recipe in, as I also am interested in learning to make this. Thanks.