candy in CZ

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by Ruzete, Nov 29, 2005.

1. Ruzete

Ruzete Well-Known Member

Do you have American candy in Czech Republic? I want to send my pen-pal some American candy, and I wouldn't know what to send. Any ideas?

2. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

Mostly, they have something equivalent, however, I have never seen Reeses peanut butter cups here, nor M&M's :(

Moreover, the ice cream sucks. Only last year did they start to sell HageenDaz (spelling unknown) and it is 150 Kc a pint (about 6usd). I want my Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey :lol:

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia! KJP, they have Ben and Jerry's at Culinaria. Of course it's expensive. I've also seen Reeses there. But that's just one store. They're not available anywhere else as far as I know.

Some other types of candy that I consider very American and that are either not available here or are not that common are marshmallows, licorice, jelly beans and those white mints with red stripes that you can often get at a restaurant. And of course salt water taffy. And Junior Mints!

I wouldn't send any chocolate since one can buy very good chocolate here. Unless you want to send some Hershey's as a typical example of American-made chocolate (to me it tastes different than the chocolate I buy here), or unless you can get your hands on some Ghirardelli chocolate. :)

4. KJP

KJP Well-Known Member

I havent eaten ice cream for 4 years due to the lack of anything closely resembling real ice cream, then HD hit the market. For the price, I can overlook it also, but now that you have told me where to get B&J's, I am a bit shaky...it is habit forming.

Your right, no marshmellows and the others, never occurred to me...

Belgian chocolate rules....
    What am I saying, I no longer eat any of that crap in fear that I might support the FAT ass American reputation that we have taken on...it really pisses me off (like Bush)

Todays news: doctors are having a hard time getting the injection needles into the rump of fat folks and need to use a longer needle...ouch, at least it didnt state fat Americans, but the overtone was there :cry:

5. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Then you must not have had Cream & Dream. It's delicious, mamma mia! They're on Husova and Mostecká.

6. Idler

Idler Member

What about the "Russian" ice cream? That was better than any vanilla ice cream I've ever eaten in the U.S.

7. player1

player1 Active Member

Wow...does Brno have the upper hand on Prague over something?

We've got some great ice-cream parlours here (if u can put up with the notoriously sullen staff - why is it the happier the product, the more 'kin miserable the czech who serves it? If you dont believe me, try buying something in a toy shop....). You cant get a Flake in it though :roll:

Or do you septics, ahem, cousins across the atlantic have some kind of magical ice cream that you're comparing with?

8. Ruzete

Ruzete Well-Known Member

Thanks Dana and KJP for the great ideas! I have plenty to send, I originally thought that they sold alot of American candy there.

What is so different about the ice-cream here then there?

9. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Ice cream that you can buy in a grocery store here, such as the polárkový dort type (image) or the nanuky (ice cream bars), is not as creamy and often tastes light, plain and "watery" compared to the richer consistency and flavor of Ben & Jerry's, Häagen-Dazs, Cold Stone, etc.

It is uncommon to find ice cream here that has stuff mixed in. It's usually just plain smooth ice cream, maybe with chocolate or nuts on top, but there is no such thing as chocolate chips, fresh fruit, cookie chunks, nuts, caramel, etc. mixed into the ice cream.

There are by far not as many flavors available here. All the U.S. biggies make 30 - 40 flavors of ice cream, a great number of which can easily be found in a supermarket. In grocery stores here, the main flavors are vanilla, chocolate and strawberry. Besides that, you may find three or four other flavors, and you're about done. The selection is often much better when you buy ice cream by the cone on the street or in an ice cream shop, but again, the ice cream is usually not as rich as what you would find in the U.S. (I mean real ice cream, not low fat or frozen yogurt).

A real-life example: In the U.S., we ate ice cream quite often and almost always kept our freezer stocked with our favorites. In Prague, our freezer almost never contains any ice cream, except for the rare Míša or Magnum bar. :cry: The good stuff is either expensive or inconvenient to get on a regular basis.

10. evian

evian Well-Known Member

Like gelati or different again?

11. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Not like gelati. Gelato is even denser than American ice cream. The Czech ice cream I was describing has a light texture and less prominent flavors. I don't know what to compare it to.

12. player1

player1 Active Member

This....from a MODERATOR.... :shock:

Sorry.

Feeling mischevious again :twisted:

13. asc

asc Member

Dana, when you mention "white mints with red stripes" do you mean those wrapped peppermint mints that look to be sliced from a candy cane? Leading to the question> Do you have the traditional Christmas Candy Canes in CZ? Thank - Scott

14. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Yes.
    No, we don't.

15. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Dana, the "white mints with red stripes" are usually called "starlight mints." Maybe that will give you a search phrase to try and find them over there.

16. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Thanks Sova! I didn't know that. I'm not looking for the mints over here. I just mentioned them as an example of American candy that I haven't seen here.

17. magan

magan Well-Known Member

Sending candies/chocolates to CR is like sending ice to eskymos. All major Western confectionary companies moved in and they are making whatever they are making elsewere. I, on other hand was trying to find something really Czech in that department to bring home to Canada and had hard time as most of the sweets looked like what we have there.

Svetozor ice cream sundies (zmrzlinovy pohar) in pasage Svetozor, in Vodickova ul. by Wenceslav Square is long long time favourite of Czechs. New owners took over after revolution and opened more ice cream/pastry shops in Prague.

There is also Italian ice cream shop in Vodickova near Karlovo nam. in Vodickova ul.

18. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Yes, we have a lot of candy here. But I thought that Ruzete was going to send typical American candy, not just any candy. I think it's a good idea to send examples of sweets that are popular in the U.S. but are not known or common here. I think there are enough of them to put together a nice sampling (see beginning of this thread).

19. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

You know, something truly, truly American is root beer. You could send a couple of root beer candies (not the beverage itself, of course) for your pen-pal to sample. Not too many though, most Europeans are disgusted by root beer, or at least unimpressed. Weirdos. There's just no accounting for some people's taste. :wink:

20. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Ha ha! :D Here we go! I was originally going to mention root beer but I just couldn't. I hate root beer! To me it smells and tastes like Stopangin (a mouth and throat disinfectant).