Book Recommendation: The Czechs in a Nutshell

Discussion in 'Culture' started by gementricxs, Dec 1, 2005.

1. gementricxs

gementricxs Well-Known Member

I want to recommend you book "The Czechs in a Nutshell" written by Terje.B.Englund.
    It's written by foreigner who now lives in Prague. There's a lot of things about Czech culture, Czech history and so on.
    Maybe it's similar to the "Culture Shock! Czech Republic" book. I don't know, I didn't read it.
    It cost around 300Kč, so a way cheaper than the Culture shock book.

2. Howard

Howard Active Member

I've read both books and I found "The Czechs in a Nutshell" the best. I think it gives a better description of several aspects of the Czech Republic.

I may not be the best judge since I'm not Czech, but it fits better with the descriptions of events I've gotten over the last years from my Czech friends when I'm in the CR.

I would, however, recommend both books since they are sufficiently different.

3. Duane

Duane Member

I'm not having any luck locating that book. I have checked Amazon.com and ebay.

Duane

4. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Duane,

Apparently the book is printed by a Czech publishing company, Baset, even though it is written in English, apparently by a Norwegian author; hence the distribution is probably fairly limited. The book's ISBN No. is 80-7340-051-0.

5. Duane

Duane Member

Thanks, Sova. That should help me locate one.

Duane

6. Adgie

Adgie Member

When I was in Prague last October (2005) I bought the book “The Czechs in a Nutshell – A User’s Manual for Foreigners” by Terje B. Englund. He is a Norwegian journalist who has been based in Prague since in 1993 and writes on Czech and Slovak affairs. I found it very interesting and two of my Czech friends (one from Opava, one from Studénka) have commented that it gives a very good representation of Czechs and their culture. It also contains references to key historical events in the Czech lands history. Worth a read.

http://www.baset.cz