Czechs in Vancouver, B.C.

Discussion in 'Make a Connection' started by vikivandeursen, Feb 20, 2006.

1. I am new in Vancouver - any Czechs around? Would be really nice to hook up with someone for a chat in Czech!
    Viki

2. JakiL

JakiL Member

Hi There Viki,

My husband is Czech and we live in Vancouver. I am Canadian. I am taking Czech classes at Langara but I am not fluent at all. My husband is born and raised in CZ.. Are you Czech? Your name doesn't look Czech?

Jaki

3. Hi Jaki,

That's cool - that you're learning Czech... I was born and raised, even went to college in Czech. My first name's Czech - last name's Dutch, my husband is Dutch-Canadian. He doesn't speak much Czech really - tried to pick it up twice, with me teaching him from a pretty good textbook - but then we got really busy, regular classes are much better. Hope you are enjoying yours :D

I live in Richmond...

Viki

4. JakiL

JakiL Member

Hi Viki,

We live in Vancouver, just off Marine facing the Fraser River. Where were you born and raised in Cz? Vlas (my hubby - as you Czechs call him Vlastik) is a Moravian boy - from Uherske Ostroh which is a small town near Uherske Hradiste and about an hour from both Brno and Bratislava, almost smack dab in the middle.

I take Czech classes at Langara. If your husband is interested in exploring the language a little more, I highly recommend the class. Jan Hynek is our instructor. I am hoping to pick up a lot more Czech before July when we head to Zlin for a wedding. In the class is a gal married to a gent from Ostrava, and a Canadian couple who love to explore Prague, as well the son of an ex-pat.

Tesi me and ahoj (I don't know how to type accents sorry)

Jaki

5. Hi Jaki,

I was born and raised in Ostrava - also a Moravian, just like your Vlastik. I've never really explored the southern part of Moravia - am really ashamed of myself - seems like people always know their homeland less than anywhere else. I'd lived in Asia for almost 7 years - China and Taiwan, so that's where my second home is.

I am so happy for you that you're enjoying your Czech classes - I know the language is really hard, but it must be so rewarding for you! John, my husband, has been quite busy the last two years working on his doctorate, but I do hope that once he's done and we're settled somewhere he can start learning Czech too.

I'd love to meet you guys - you and your classmates, - if you ever go out together for a "Czech pub night" or whatever, please let me know.

We are also planning to travel to Moravia in July!

Diky, ze pises. Tesim se na dalsi psani!

Ahojky,

Viki

6. linda2010

linda2010 New Member

Hi,

I am new to Vancouver and also interested if you have a "Czech pub night".

I arrived two months ago to start my PhD, so I don't know a soul.

I am Czech, but have been living in Canada (Toronto) since I was 9.

Hope your Czech classes are going well :)

Linda

7. janVA206

janVA206 New Member

:D AHOJ, I AM CZECH LIVING IN VANCOUVER AND LIKE TO HOCK-UP FOR ?PILSNER? KNIGHT AND INTELLIGENT TALK WITH SOME NICE CZECHS, KDO MA NALADU TAK AT TO ZDE POST, MUZE TO BYT LEGRACE DAT SE DOHROMADY NA HEZKY VECER, TREBA V YELL-TOWN BREWERY JE TO TAM FAJN .... TAK SE OZVETE ... CHEERS *J :D :D :D

8. Dromo

Dromo New Member

Hello All

I am a dual Czech and British citizen, and I have moved to Vancouver for 6 months. Although I cannot write in Czech, I can speak it fluently, and I would like to meet other Czech speakers during my time in British Columbia.

The Czech pub nights mentioned on this website sound like an ideal way to practice my spoken Czech. Could one of you be kind enough to tell me how I could join one of the evenings?

Thanks for your time.

All the best,

Ollie

9. janVA206

janVA206 New Member

I am a dual Czech and British citizen, and I can speak it fluently, I would like to meet other Czech speakers.

The Czech pub nights an ideal way to practice my spoken Czech. Could one of you be kind enough to tell me how I could join one of the evenings?

?
    Well I live here for few Fridays and I can say, that Czech beer-chat is very seldom occasion ... However some time to time in Yelltown pub (nice place) I meet some friends, Czech guys which are involved in graphic design, photography etc, otherwise Czechs are more like gauche potatoes ...

10. Belen1

Belen1 New Member

Hello all,
    I too would be very interested in getting together with other Czechs! I was born in Canada to Czech parents and would love to get together and practice my Czech. I understand the language quite well but am not quite as fluent in speaking the language. I just recently came from visiting the Czech Republic for the first time and just fell in love with the country. I cannot wait to go back.
    Cheers

11. mloudal

mloudal New Member

Ahoj, jmenuji se Michal a ziji v Sjadlu. Slysel jsem ze prodavaji ve Vankuvru Matonku, a tak se chci zeptat jestli nekdo vite kde je nejlepsi ji u vas kupovat? Diky

12. renatka896

renatka896 New Member

Hello everybody,

I am a czech girl, currently in Vancouver and don't know anybody here. I have tried more websites to connect with somebody but it really didn't work. I have been here for a month and would like to get to know somebody - anybody who is czech or want to speak czech or just want to hang out!!!!

So please if you think we can hang out, let me know... I don't want to be lonely here anymore :( It's a beautiful city and it's not too much fun to explore it on your own....

Will wait anxiously for your answers !!!!

Renata

13. golota

golota Member

We are looking for native Czech speaker for a voice over recording project

The voice recording will take place in Burnaby and it will last about 1.5-2 hours. If you are interested, we will need to receive your voice sample by Monday morning. Please send an email to receive instructions on how to record your voice sample.

Requirements
    * Native Czech speaker who has clear Czech accent without English influence
    * Nice voice
    * Clear speaking skills

Compensation: CAN 80-100

Please reply to craigslist posting if interested: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/tfr/1229760500.html

14. MarekCZ

MarekCZ New Member

Hello Viky, I am Czech, recently in The Czech Rep., but I am going to Vancouver in May or June with my girlfriend. We would be very pleased to have some friends there. If you would like to chat in Czech just tell us :) Have a nice day. Marek and Bara