Upcoming visit to Prague + photography locations

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Alexz, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Alexz

Alexz New Member

Hi, this is my first post here.
    We are planing a short-term (3-days long) visit to Prague to enjoy the beauty of this city between 19 and 22 Dec (next weekend actually).
    As an avid amateur photographer I try to prepare myself ahead mapping the recommended photo locations to shoot the views from to avoid loosing valuable time searching for such in real time. I realize the city is full of photogenic palces and views even just my exploring the streets of Old City, but since one of my main interests is twilling and night urban photography (besides of people and architecture), I usually trying to figure the best ovelooking places to setup my tripod on to enjoy a gorgeous views on my slides.

Would be grateful for a suggesttions for such locations that would promice a great overlooking views to the city, details (fine illuminated castles, bridges and so forth..) and this kind of things.
    Hope to catch up an upcoming Xmass feeling and illumination.

I guess this query may be handled well by Jeff, whose Prague photo experience may work wonders helping me out.

Thanks in advance, Alex

2. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Hi Alex,

First of all, welcome to the boards.

There is a great view of Prague from the viewpoint near the Jiřská entrance to the Prague Castle area, at the top of the Old Castle Stairs.

Another view I would recommend is from near the Strahov Monastery. There is a popular terrace that overlooks the city.

Have a great trip!

Jeff

3. Alexz

Alexz New Member

Thanks a lot Jeff. Took a notes of your recommendations.

Best regards, Alex

4. Joss

Joss Active Member

Hi

My two favourite views are from the Charles Bridge looking from the Old Town Square end at early in the morning with the sun breaking over the buildings. The other one is from the top of Petrin Hill from the observation tower. The views on a clear day of the Vlatava are wonderful. The important observation here is 'on a clear day' if its misty then forget it!

Hope you have a good time.

Joss

5. Alexz

Alexz New Member

Thanks a lot Joss. Will keep my fingers crossed wishing for a good clear days between 19 and 22 Dec.

Do you happen to have a pictures of these views available online (say on your or some other site) ?

Alex

6. Joss

Joss Active Member

Hi Alex

Yes I have some images. If I can have an e mail I will send them over to you. The pics are only taken using a sony digital camera but they aren't bad. I'm sure you can do much better!!

Joss

7. Alexz

Alexz New Member