What exactly does it mean to be European...

Discussion in 'Central & Eastern Europe' started by Luciaviolin, Nov 1, 2005.

1. nebe_je_zde

nebe_je_zde Member

well, I met such people - Turks who got German citizenship :lol:

2. capponilos

capponilos Member

I don't want to start again, but... we, in Argentina, are tought that Mexico is in CENTRAL AMERICA, nor South, nor North... So... BEEEEP, you're wrong.

3. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

For North Americans, Central America is a region, not a continent, and that region forms part of the continent of North America. So...BEEEEP, you're wrong.

Ooooh! I just told a bonairense they were wrong!! :shock: :lol: :wink:

4. capponilos

capponilos Member

Oh, ok, I see... I guess I can't say anything to that. We have different theory :roll: .

Yes, and you are in troubles.... muhehe :twisted:

Mlask

5. Qcumber

Qcumber Well-Known Member

For me a European is a white non-practicing Christian, very sceptical about religions, economic theories, US politics, worried about the Muslim masse immigration, worried about delocalization of our industries in non-European countries, worried about free trade, pleased to be what we are, and proud of the immense diversity of European cultures.

6. wer

wer Well-Known Member

My rusults in Qcumber's Test of Europeanship:

white [​IMG]

non-practicing Christian [​IMG] (no Christian at all)

sceptical about religions [​IMG]

sceptical about economic theories [​IMG]

sceptical about US politics [​IMG] (at least in comparison with the French or German one)

worried about the Muslim masse immigration [​IMG]

worried about delocalization of our industries in non-European countries [​IMG] (I'm not worried about results of European laziness, I'm worried about European laziness)

worried about free trade [​IMG]

pleased to be what we are [​IMG]

and proud of the immense diversity of European cultures. [​IMG] (no reason to be proud but I accept it as fact)

:roll: :roll: So, am I European :?: :?:

7. Qcumber

:) Of course every European has their own view on being a European. I was just giving mine.

8. Qcumber

Do you mean you'd prefer a unified European culture: everywhere the same architecture, the same music, the same customs, the same cuisine?

9. wer

wer Well-Known Member

No, I like diverse Europe but I see no reason to be proud - we can't claim credits for it.

10. eso

eso Well-Known Member

Well, I suppose that, maybe, if I'm tolerant to diversity, then I help to support it and therefore I can claim little bit of pride for it :)

11. wissy

wissy Well-Known Member

quote="wer"]No, I like diverse Europe but I see no reason to be proud - we can't claim credits for it.[/quote]

Can you elaborate a little more Wer?

12. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Wissi, I'm not sure... simply, the phrase "proud of the immense diversity of..." sounds self-important to me 8). Maybe it's only some obscure kind of language barrier (the real meaning of "proud") :wink:.

13. Qcumber

Just a question Wer. Where do you come from? What are your origins?

14. wer

wer Well-Known Member

I'm Czech settled for the whole of life (excluding four years in Slovakia and studies in Prague) in Eastern Bohemia, enough?

15. Qcumber

Thank you, Wer.