The Czech look

Discussion in 'Culture' started by skate007, Apr 24, 2005.

1. silverkinguk

silverkinguk Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I agree with John, Czechs in all shapes and sizes.

:)

2. poulsen

poulsen Member

My Dad's side of the family is Czech and my Mom claims he looks very Czech. He's tallish, 6'4" I would say, has black hair and very tan skin with very dark eyes. My two younger brothers took after him but their hair and eyes are dark brown rather than black. I got the darker skin but with blue eyes and light brown hair from my Mom's Danish side of the family. So when I think of what a typical Czech person looks like I just think of my Dad.

3. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

I've found that Czech men don't like voluptuous curves but some curves. It appears that the many Czech men I've met, like women skinny. They like some curves but they can't be too big.

As opposed to most men of color who like women "thick" as my friends of color would say.

I'm 5'1" tall and I've always wieghed 100-105 lbs. I recently gained about 10 pounds and my czech husband would prefer I loose it again. My Czech friends make jokes about the weight gain. Whereas all my American friends tell me it looks healthier. My friends of color tell me I look great!

Go figure. I say please yourself and forget what they all say! :D

4. MarianCorwin

MarianCorwin Member

Amen!

5. Ruzete

Ruzete Well-Known Member

My friends tell me I look very Czech, but I don't know, I think they say that just because they know I am Czech, also my best friend is part Czech and we have the same general shape of face, but she is opposite of me with blonde hair and blue eyes while I have brown hair and hazel eyes
    [​IMG]
    do I? I am the middle one (the girl next to me isn't the Czech one, she's swedish)

6. eso

eso Well-Known Member

IMHO - everyone on that photo could be a Czech.

7. Ruzete

Ruzete Well-Known Member

what does IMHO mean? :? So If I were to walk around Prague would anyone know the difference? no, right.

8. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

IMHO = in my humble opinion

9. brook

brook Well-Known Member

what about me - don't you think I look czech? :wink:

10. MarianCorwin

MarianCorwin Member

uh...where are you? :roll: lol...ok then, here goes...do I look czech? what about Irish? because thats where my family comes from...
    8) Although when I think of Irishmen, or women that is, i think of red heads with realllllly pale skin and freckles...which i am clearly not

11. withoutaim

withoutaim Active Member

To be honest, I can never recognize that he or she is a Czech - and I am myself Czech.

12. Paint

Paint Well-Known Member

I must look Dutch because many many Czech people asked me where in the Netherlands I was from. Strangely people asked me that when I was living in Central America as well.

13. Hi, my name's Julia. I'm 1/4 Czech and . . . well, a bunch of stuff I don't know about. Czech is the biggest thing, although I'm afraid I don't really look it. :( I'm pretty much the biggest mutt you can think of. 1/4 Czech, 1/128 Choctaw, and you gotta fill in the gaps. :p

Here's a crappy picture of me. I got a Czech nose, at least, and the same color eyes as Great Grandpa Mocherek, who was full blooded Czech (very uncommon surname, it seems). Long and sharp nose, very fine hair, black eyes.

[​IMG]

Not the most flattering (or clear) picture. I was messing around with my webcam.

14. Kristyna

Kristyna New Member

My family and I are all Czech, plus I know many Czechs and I've come to notice over time that Czechs have very defined jaw-lines (which I have myself and love!), and the eyes are usually very beautiful (Hazel or green), and I noticed that Czech women love to dye their hair... There are always exceptions, but these are deffinatly visible in many Czechs! :D

15. John Rihacek

John Rihacek Active Member

To: Ravenfighter04

Yep, looks like a Czech nose, but fits your face. Don't change anything as
    long as you can breath out of it. Part American Indian, you must be from
    the Midwest.

Recently on PBS they had a show on African-Americans and how DNA population markers can pretty much indicate the location of our their
    ancestors. The vast majority of the famous African Americans in the show
    had majority of their DNA markers located in Northern Europe, UK, Germany, and Holland. Similarly in Camden, NJ a local coffee shop was
    offering low cost DNA tests to patrons to trace their ancestors' ethnic and
    racial heritage.

It appears to be urban myth that most Americans, White or Black, claim
    American Indian heritage.

Does anyone know what heritage urban myth prevails in the Czech Republic? Do Czechs with black hair, and eyes ascribe the genetic traits
    to the Mongol and Tartar invasions of Europe? The Mongols and Tartars
    may be the European romantic equivalent of the American Indian to USA.

John Rihacek, half Czech and half Italian(Sicilian actually)

16. Most people I know attribute it to Roma or Hungarian influence. Dunno how accurate this is because I don't know what those two nationalities/ethnicities look like.

I can just barely breathe through my nose. :p I have allergies. It causes problems since I'm thinking of continuing in ROTC at Oklahoma State (yes, I am an Oklahoman). It's nice to know that I have at least one or two Czech features. It gives me a heritage I feel I can belong to.

Can you blame Americans for claiming American Indian heritage? I get a few thousand dollars a year from them for school and I have very little Indian blood in me, far less than Czech or even Irish.

Very little of your DNA actually makes up your race, I think. I heard one time that if your DNA was a mile long, then the first six inches would determine your sex. So race wouldn't be much bigger.

My mom and uncles have the higher cheekbones that Czechs tend to have. They're 1/2 Czech.

17. John Rihacek

To Ravenfighter04

Until I had a nasty horse riding accidentin my early twenties, I could not breath out of my Czech nose. All of my Czech relatives had breathing
    difficulties like allergies and asthma. After I had a minor corrective surgery on my nose (like Gogel) I was able to breath much better. I had
    a cartilage obstruction of one nostril.

Are you allergic to scallops, all of my male Czech relatives, and cousins are highly allergic to scallops but can eat any of the other shell fish.

My Czech relatives all had varying shades of Hazel or Blue eyes, but my
    fourth cousins who are also Rihaceks in New Ringold, Pa were shorter
    and darker like Hungarians. My Rihacek relatives were Moravians from
    a small village on the Moravian/Slovak border called Kuzelov. My Czech
    grandmother's relatives were from Kutna Hora, Bohemia.

In my youth, I attended a Hungarian Catholic School in New Brunswick, NJ
    where my Hungarian refugee classmates were much smaller than myself.
    They tended to be darker too. Hungary at one point controlled most of
    Slovakia and part of Moravia, the Czechs considered them rivals for scarce land. Central Jersey has a fair number of Hungarians from 1956
    and most tend to be on the short, and dark side. Their restaurants have
    great food though, what is left of them.

When did your Czech relative come to the US, and what port of entry did
    they arrive in.? Was it Galveston, Texas. All of my relatives came in through the Port of New York, and were promptly shipped to the coal mines of eastern and western Pennsylvania.

Welcome to the site.

John Rihacek

18. My great grandparents came through Ellis Island in NYC, I think. It was in the 1910s. Grandpa had a WWI draft card for the US, so it was before that. They must have put Austrian or Hungarian on their nationality. He worked in Pennsylvania as well, and his little brother died in one of the coal mines. :cry: He later moved to Cleveland. My grandmother was born in Ohio and came to Oklahoma with her husband later in life.

I have other members of my Czech family that had white blonde hair and blue eyes and some that were very dark, almost black. Grandma said that it had to do with what part of Czechoslovakia they came from. Also, the only Mocherek still in Europe that we know of is from a town in Poland called Lapsze Nizne. It looks to be very close to the Moravian/Slovak border. Of course, it's also possible that there is some Hungarian blood in my family that my great grandparents denied for cultural reasons, much like my grandmother adamantly told me as a child that we had no German blood. :p

I'm allergic to ragweed and smoke. Not severe allergies, although I get sinusitis once in a blue moon. No food allergies, but then I'm a woman. I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I doubt it. XD My grandma gets allergies as well and sinus infections.

I'm awful sorry for rambling. I had three finals today.

19. John Rihacek

To Ravenfighter04

Post a response after your finals are over. It has been long a time since I had that headache.

It looks like your grandparents were recruited by labor recruiters that scoured all of eastern Europe in the 1880's for miners for Pennsylvania.
    My grandfather, and two of his brothers, and two male cousins came over
    in the 1880's and went through Ellis Island. I still have relatives in the Czech Republic with a great aunt making contact with the Kuzelov Rihaceks. You can only find of reference of Kuzelov in The Lonely Planet
    edtion of Czech Republic travel books. During WWI, my grandfather was drafted into the American Army too.

My grandfather John Theodore spent 3 years in the coal fields outside of
    Jim Thorpe, Pa the location for the 1960's movie "The Molly Maguires" with
    Sean Connery. He then moved back to NYC, and married my grandmother who was a Zadrazilova, from Kutna Hora, Bohemia. They
    resided in the high 80's of the Yorkville Section of Manhattan by the old
    stock yards, present site of the UN Building. Yorkville was a German and
    Czech neighborhood up until the 1970's, and is now completely changed.

My father served in the US Army during WWII, and visited his relatives in
    the Czech Republic in 1947 before the Communist Spring of 1948. When my parents met and married they moved to NJ as a mid point between the
    two families. I still have many relatives in the Pennsylvania coal country,
    and I graduated from University of Pittsburgh.

I agree with you that my Czech relatives never had anything kind to say
    about the Germans or Hungarians. From my Polish friends, their grandparents never liked the Czechs who they considered to be germanized slavs, and not strong adherents to Catholicism. Most Czech
    emigres that I meet in New Jersey profess no religion whatsoever.

In late June, I will be traveling to the Czech Republc with my mother and
    sister to the City of Ceska Budeovice (sp) as my mother will be giving
    a speech to the Southern Bohemia Medical School. My mother is a medical doctor and has a close collegue who works with her, and is a
    former Czech national having fled in 1968. Likewise my brother is a medical doctor, and studied the Czech language in all places, UCLA. My sister and myself did not follow my mother's desires, and work in different
    fields.

Good Luck on your finals.

John Rihacek

20. I have no finals today, but a term paper and a cell and molecular biology final tomorrow, so I'll just comment on one thing.

Grandpa and Grandma Mocherek were extremely devout Catholics, which may be odd for Czechs. They prayed the Rosary everyday and never missed Mass. In fact, I got my religious heritage from the Czech side of the family (my father's side, Irish/English/Scottish, are all Protestants). Maybe my grandparents were from Slovakia?