Praha Opera - will I be over-dressed?

Discussion in 'Culture' started by Robbo, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Robbo

Robbo New Member

Hi there,

I'm going to the Praha Opera on the 5th of April. I wonder, would wearing a black bow-tie and tuxedo as one would wear in England to a similar venue be overdressing in Prague?

I don't want to look silly!

2. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Robbo,
    Suits are suggested as the proper attire for the Opera and that's what Czechs usually wear. However, the Prague Opera is also visited by tourists who often wander in without having changed their clothes after a day of sightseeing, so you'll see people wearing jeans and t-shirts. As far as a tuxedo and bowtie go, you sure don't need to dress up that much but I don't think you'll look silly. A little extra elegance is always better than a little too much sloppiness at a place such as the Opera.

3. magan

magan Well-Known Member

You are up for treat! National Theatre (by the river) is MUST to see. Make sure that you go there!!!! Note that they are playing different opera every day so if you want to buy tickets go there first morning after your arrival as there is large selection but depending on which day you can go. After buying tickets plan your other activities.

Respectful clothing is required as it is considered an insult to Czechs when bunch of yahoos comes wearing tennis shoes and dirty clothes. They thenmselves always show respect for their pride and joy opf these theatres.

Recommended: Prodana Nevesta (Czech national Opera) or Rusalka (also Czech and beautiful music) and of course there are many others.

If you go to Stavovske Divadlo (located between Staromestske and VAclavske nam.): Don Giovanni (opera) is recommended. There is also Smetanovo Divadlo (above Vaclavske nam.) where you should look for Swan Lake (ballet). All three theatres are classified as National Theatres.
    They are all splendid, but National Theatre by the river is simply magnificent. They are all more than 100 years old and great experience.

For those who are interested in Operetta, which is old time type of Musical there is Karlinske Divadlo in Karlin (by Central Bus Station).

Theatres are still good value and excellent quality due to long tradition.

Enjoy!

4. magan

magan Well-Known Member

.... and yes, I agree with previous poster, Tuxedo is bit too much. Jacket and tie is sufficient.

5. orange

orange Member

I'm hoping to catch operas whilst I'm in Prague as well.
    I have a really nice red evening gown.
    Do you think I can wear that to operas?
    Do you think I'd look rather overdressed in it?
    I might even have to catch metro to get to the venue...do you think people find me strange dressed up on the train?

Many thanks in advance,
    Orange :wink: [/list]