Looking for Czech textbooks

Discussion in 'Language Exchange & Czech Classes' started by rozy, Jun 22, 2006.

1. rozy

rozy Member

Hello everyone!

I would like to ask if someone knows about most useful textbooks for learning effectively czech language. And if there is web site for it, please give it to me!I was looking through the web , but there are a lot of publishing houses. Thank you,

R.

2. Shaka

Shaka Active Member

i just purchased an audio cassette plus text book set off e-bay, there is some good books out there for new begginners* , id recommend 'Teach Yourself: Czech-The Complete Course For Beginners (Book + 2 Cassette Set)', they dont much either,

But good luck wherever you search

3. rozy

rozy Member

Yes, thank you for your quick reply, I study czech for 2 years, but want to look for another type of textbooks, I mean some good latest editions, which are used by native speakers at schools for example. Thank you once again!

R.

4. dzurisova

dzurisova Well-Known Member

Czech Step by Step was recommended to me by a Czech teacher. When she recommended it, it wasn't even available in the States. I had to have a friend pick it up for me in Prague. It is not a teach yourself book. It is suppose to be used in a classroom setting. It is now available on Amazon.com. It also has a work book. There are no tapes/CD's though. I think it's a really good book. The Czech teacher I have now (different than the teacher who recommended it) also believes it is really good.

5. rozy

rozy Member

I saw your message, dzurisovak and also found out this textbook in Amazon.com and another czech web site. Do you have any idea if there is a download version of it no?Because I saw something like that at www.kosmas.cz but coudn't download anything. However, no problems if u don't know thanks again for the reply!

R.

6. dzurisova

No, I've not heard of a downloadable version of it. Sorry :cry:

7. Lunule

Lunule Member

Hi Rozy!

I teach Czech language for foreigners in Prague so I have some experience with all these books available here on the market..

What's your nationality?
    And what level are you?

This is very important.

Not knowing this information I can just recommend following:

I like a textbook Step by Step. It's nicely produced and very useful. It's not a boring book. It's good to start as it motivates you not to give up this difficult language.
    It is sold together with practise book which is rich with exercises and CD which provides you some listening so you can hear the sound of the language as well.

There is one more book which is brilliant. It has very detailed grammar explanations, it's almost academic. But it's a textbook as well, not a grammar book. It's really a professional book I think. It was published in Czech - German, English, French, Italian ... versions so it's worth of your attention.
    It's name is Do you want to speak Czech?, French version is called Pour les francophones qui veulent parler tcheque.
    But you will always find it with the Czech sign in Czech> Chcete mluvit cesky? which means Do you want to speak Czech.

When you struggle with verbs and have some grammar problems with the structure of the language and need some theory, it might be of use to you to have a look at 401 Czech Verbs, which is a good book for that, quite favourite within my students. But it deals most of all with verbs, which are presented in pairs - perfective + imperfective and conjugated.

I hope it willl help you a little
    If you have some further questions don't hesitate to contact me
    Lunule

8. Lunule

Lunule Member

www.kosmas.cz is e-bookstore. so you won't be able to download anything from there.

have a look at http://www.czechstepbystep.cz/ here you might find something. there are some useful links at least.

if you study for two years as I've read now, and are really serious with a language, I recommend again the book Chcete mluvit cesky?
    And advanced version, Chcete jeste lepe mluvit cesky?

I do not really recommend you to work trough boks which are used by Czechs because our approach is completely different. We live and speak the language already before we go to school so it is something else, I think.
    There are methods and techniques which are used to teach foreigners but can't be used with Czechs and aren't taught in the same way, e.g. Imperativ.

9. Isa

Isa Member

Ahoj!

I was looking for the Mulvit Cesky book, but cannot seem to get hold of it, but after reading the reviews on Step by Step Czech I have ordered that from Amazon! I can't wait to get as I want to start learning properly, rather than just learning the basic phrases which I have already.

I am so glad I found this forum! It's brilliant!

Isa x :D

10. dzurisova

I recently purchased 401 Czech Verbs since we are starting to learn a lot of verbs in my Step by Step book. I'm finding 401 Czech Verbs to be very useful. I'm really glad I purchased it.

However, I also recently purchased tapes to go along with my version of Step by Step and I paid $30 for them (the same amount I paid for the book). If I had it to do over again I would not purchase the tapes. I was really looking for something to help me learn my vocabulary words while driving, cooking, cleaning, etc (since actual book in hand study time is limited). However, the tapes merely pronounce the vocabulary words but don't give the English equivalent. So it really isn't a study tool while driving, etc. I imagine it would be quite helpful to someone who doesn't often hear spoken czech and needs to hear the correct pronunciations of the vocab words. Since I live with Czech people, the tapes are not as necessary for me.

11. eric2010

eric2010 New Member

I can give you a site to search for textbook about how to learn Czech language which have excellent resource as you can choose what ever you want.

12. Ctyri koruny

Ctyri koruny Well-Known Member

so much spam recently, site needs a new captcha!

I was reading this thinking it was a new thread and thinking "Wow dzurisova" is amazingly good for someone not even finished Step by Step