Hostel versus Hotel

Discussion in 'Travel Tips & Advice' started by Java Joe, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Java Joe

Java Joe New Member

I've read several similar posts , so please forgive me if it seems like I'm repeating the same question. I'll be travelling alone to Prague for eight days at the end of March. For convenience, I'd like to stay in Old Town.

I've never stayed at a Hostel, but the idea of meeting lot's of new people to hang out with and share travel information with is very appealing as is saving money over a hotel room. Sharing a bathroom doesn't seem like that big of a deal. I see many Hostels offer single rooms, so I guess if I'm willing to pay more I'll be able to have some of privacy. But I am concerned about noise. I enjoy a bit of the night life as much as anyone, but when I'm ready to sleep I need some piece and quiet. I'm also a bit concerned about sanitation, security and having my posessions stolen.

I guess you could say I'm looking for the social opportunities of a hostel with the privacy, security and relative peace and quiet of a hotel room. Do you have any suggestions?

2. Jeff

Jeff Well-Known Member

Java Joe,

There are trade-offs when choosing the type of accommodation. I think a hostel will make it easier to meet people, but will probably not be as quiet or private as a hotel. When I was 24 and spent the summer backpacking through Europe, I almost always stayed in hostels and it was great for meeting people. I did not care as much about privacy or noise back then. As I got older, those things began to matter more.

Even if you stay in a hotel, you can still stop by the bars/pubs they have in the hostels to meet people. Depending on how long you will be spending in the Czech Republic, you could always start off in a hostel and finish up in a hotel.

Have fun!

Jeff

3. strommuu

strommuu Member

Try a hostel for the first night: If it's too loud, or otherwise unpleasant, check out and get a hotel room.

The private rooms in the hostels, when they have them, really are about as good as a cheap, cheap-but clean- american motel. Just a lot safer.

There are plenty of moderately priced hotels in prague, so finding one on short notice should be easy if the hostel doesn't work out.

You will meet a lot of nice people in a hostel, and it makes for easy bar-hopping groups, where sometimes it might not be quite such a good idea to go it alone at night.

Let us know how it went when you return.

robert

4. pismomalir

pismomalir Member

My two tips would be 1) avoid the Clown and Bard Hostel, and 2) invest in a set of earplugs; it's quite normal to ask noisy people to quieten down or to go elsewhere if you are trying to sleep, but the earplugs will be good against snoring and traffic noise.