"In God I trust" in Czech - translation please?

Discussion in 'Vocabulary & Translation Help' started by cbensch, Feb 25, 2004.

1. cbensch

cbensch New Member

Very simple. I wish to have "In God I trust" tattooed on my lower back to represent my faith and my family heritage. But, I need to make sure it is proper! Who knows what people might have me tattooed with!!!

2. cbensch

cbensch New Member

For those of you who may be curious, the translation closest to this would be, "Verim v boha," meaning "I believe in God." Additionally, you may also say "Duverim v boha" which translates to "when the time comes I will rely on God." I see some people are looking at my original post and I thought you'd be curious as to the answer. Thanks Eva, Darren and Michael for your help. :D

3. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

I think Czech does not have such a strong, proclamative phrase as "In God I trust" in English. "Věřím v Boha" is closest, but ito doesn't have that power :)

"Duverim v Boha" is wrong, it should be "Důvěřuji Bohu", which means somethink like "I confide in God". I am not very good in these slight language nuances :)

4. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

The way I feel the difference between the two is "Věřím v Boha" = "I believe in God" (in general), "Důvěřuji Bohu" = "I trust God" (I trust that He will protect me, guide me, etc.).

I wonder what Eva, Darren and Michael suggested. Would have been interesting to read their posts here.

Dana

5. Halef

Halef Well-Known Member

Yes, I have the same feeling... For me, "věřím v Boha" means " I believe that God exists".

6. strommuu

strommuu Member

Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone know if there is an online bible, koran, or torah-- but in czech?

thanks,
    robert

7. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I would say "Verim Bohu" (note the absence of the preposition "v" and the use of the dative case instead of accusative). This construct means more "to trust [in] someone," while using the verb associated with faith ("verit"). That is the main reason I would choose this as opposed to "Duveruji Bohu." The phrase "Verim v Boha", in contrast, is most commonly meant in the context of "I believe God exists," as others have pointed out, rather than suggesting a deeper relationship with God.

8. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Robert,

After a brief web search, I found a good site with text available in three translations: Ekumenicky preklad (modern translation), Kralicka (original Czech translation from the late 16th century) and Slovo na Cestu (one I'm not familiar with):

http://www.biblenet.cz/bible/index.php

If you like crossreferencing, here is another link to the Bible Kralickeho with hyperlinked crossreferences. It's a little harder to read, given the transcriber's choices of referencing symbols and overall format, but the crossreferencing with hyperlinks is very convenient:

http://www.ccel.org/bible/czech/

I don't know much about the Koran or Torah, so I won't try to advise you there. (Sorry for continuing the tangent :) )