Question regarding pronunciation of 'ni', as in 'narozeniny'

Discussion in 'Grammar & Pronunciation' started by ondrejana, Mar 12, 2004.

1. ondrejana

ondrejana Well-Known Member

Hello,

Although I am Jana, I am 100% Chinese, but learning Czech through a Routledge language book. Plus, I have my 100% Czech husband and in-laws to correct me.

however, he is not certain on one point: The hacek..
    is there a subtle, nonstated hacek that is above the second 'n' in the word narozeniny? Ondrej claims that it is a silent hacek, and the 'ni' should be pronounced as if there were one, such that the 'i' is pronounced with the tongue wrapped behind the bottom teeth (Tongue down). I pronounce it with the tongue in between the teeth, as in 'ni' pronounced in English.

Please advise? Thank you...from Central California

2. Lorenzo

Lorenzo Well-Known Member

Hi Jana,

Your husband is perfectly right. When followed by i or í, n is pronounced as n with hacek (soft n) and in the combination n+e with hacek (as in někdo) the hacek actually moves onto the n

Lorenzo

3. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Jana,

the character "i/í" is called "měkké i" ("soft i") as opposed to the "tvrdé y/ý" ("hard y"). It softens the pronunciation of "d", "t", "n" when immediately following these consonants. So, "di/dí", "ti/tí", "ni/ní" are pronounced as if the "d", "t", "n" had a háček above them. On the contrary, "dy/dý", "ty/tý", "ny/ný" are pronounced hard, as in "ready", "dirty", "Jenny".

Dana

4. ondrejana

ondrejana Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your kindness (and promptness in reply!).

I have since gone searching in my Routledge Colloquial Czech book, and have found the page which talks about 'n' added to the list along with 'd' and 't', which I did know about.

Yes, this language sure is a doozy to learn, but well worth it to me. After mastering Spanish, Chinese, and some Danish, I now have my greatest challenge ahead for the near future! Our Praha trip in a few months' time will help me to be plenty motivated though... will be in Zizkov.. anyone have any tips on good pekarna or hospody there, prosim?

From sunny CA,
    Jana

5. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Jana,

I'm glad we were able to help and I wish you good luck in learning Czech. If you keep it up, you should be able to get somewhat comfortable with the language by the time you take your trip. I hope you come back then and let us know how you did! :)

Please post your question about Žižkov bakeries and pubs under Travel Tips and Advice to make sure that people see it.

Thanks,

Dana