We need more Czechs living in Czech Republic

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by magan, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Luciaviolin

Luciaviolin Member

I have joined this forum in order to get more news and to practice my Czech. After ten years of not using it except to talk to my mother, I am really forgetting it. On top of that, my mom and I can't agree on what some words mean! My husband is an American and "hezké nožičky" is all he can say. It is really quite depressing!
    I am thankfull to all the Czechs out there that do join. I don't think that many at home feel the need to connect as much as us, living in other contries, do. They have plenty of Czech's around them to talk to.

2. Qcumber

Qcumber Well-Known Member

I'm afraid giving a person's salary in international currencies like the US$ or the € is irrelevant. In order to know what a salary means, you have to "convert" it in purchasing power. In simple terms, for example, if an item that costs 120Kc in Prague costs 10€ in Paris, this means that 120Kc in Prague has the purchasing power of 10€ in Paris while according to the rate of exchange 120Kc = 4€! In brief you have to see what you can buy with your average Czech salary in Prague and compare it with what you can buy in New York with your average US salary.
    Besides, within a single currency, purchasing power varies from area to area. For instance this summer 1kg of big red cherries (the best) cost 2€ in Barcelona, but 10€ in Paris!

3. cavalier_101

cavalier_101 Member

i agree with you about that ............ :roll:

4. Rosemary544

Rosemary544 Member

Ahoy Luciaviolin....I am new to this web site. I too am czech living in Canada. I speak the language and what you wrote means........ beautiful legs. So take it as a compliment,and be happy.

5. mdusin

mdusin Member

Rosemary544, what a stupid comment

MD

6. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

7. mdusin

mdusin Member

here is why I think it was a stupid comment:

Luciaviolin fow sure understands what her husband is saying. It is kinda rude, if you think about it. So Luciaviolin opens her heart on this site and what she receives is a comment that she should be happy her husband appreciates her legs in this rude way and anyway should shut up.

What else do you call the comment?

MD

8. GlennInFlorida

GlennInFlorida Well-Known Member

I think Luciaviolin was complaining that "hezké nožičky" was the only thing her husband could say - not that it was rude (I don't find it to be rude, myself). I did not infer from Rosemary544 that she thought that Luciaviolin should "shut up" but rather that "beautiful legs" was a positive comment (as opposed to, say, a curse word or a lipid "dobry den").

Luciaviolin - take a look at the Czech Forum here in these message boards. It will give you a great opportunity to converse in Czech. Welcome to the boards and enjoy :D !

9. Lunule

Lunule Member

hi, I'm Czech living in Prague. And I've been visiting this website quite regularly. If you have any questions that you think I could reply, just ask. Lunule

10. Ájík

Ájík Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: I'm trying to realize how that American guy saying it.
    Anyway Luciaviolin You should give him another lesson of Czech :wink:
    There is no legs only.

"hezký zadeček.... moc hezký zadeček....."

11. doman

doman Well-Known Member

I wondered that Luciaviolin's husband knew all words about the body's parts already or just only "hezke nozicky" ! :lol:

Check her post's term ! :D