Red Cabbage -

Discussion in 'Food & Drink' started by otto, Nov 18, 2006.

1. otto

otto Member

Hi Can can anyone advise me on how to prepare red cabbage, as done in Czech Republic. Please, my wife loved it when we were in Prague, but is now trying to prepare it the czech way, but with no sucess.
    :?:

2. laylah

laylah Well-Known Member

Hi Otto,

can't help with the recipe I'm afraid, but just wondered if you'd get more attention to your question if it appeared in the food and drink section?

Hope you get some good recipes. dobrou chud'!

3. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member

4. meluzina

meluzina Well-Known Member

it could have been pickled red cabbage, in which case the stewed fresh cabbage will not taste the same - don't know if this type of red cabbage is available where you live - maybe some of the polish specialty stores i've read exist in uk might carry it or you can try this:

Sterilované zelí
    kategorie: konzervace

recept je určen pro 0 osob(y)

Ingredience:
    čerstvé bílé nebo červené zelí fresh white or red cabbage
    nálev na 1 litr vody: pickling brine for 1 litre of water:
    100g cukru -- 100 grams sugar
    20g soli -- 20 grams of salt
    0,3l octa -- 1/3 litre vinegar (czech vinegar is 8%)
    koření na 1 litrovou sklenici: spices for a one litre jar:
    3 zrnka pepře -- 3 black peppercorms
    2 zrnka nového koření -- 2 grains of allspice

Příprava:
    Ze zelí odstraníme vadné listy, hlávky omyjeme, rozkrojíme na půlky, dostraníme košťál a pokrájíme na nudličky asi 2 cm široké. Zelí vsypeme po částech do vařící osolené vody, přivedeme k varu, povaříme 10 minut, vyjmeme, necháme odkapat a naplníme do sklenic. Zelí proložíme opláchnutým kořením, zalijeme horkým nálevem, který připravíme smícháním všech přísad, sklenice ihned uzavřeme víčky a vložíme do sterilizačního hrnce s horkou vodou. Sklenice zahříváme na teplotu 90st C a při této teplotě sterilujem: sklenice o obsahu 0,7 a 0,9l -45minut a o obsahu 0,5l - 35 minut.

Process:

Remove any wilted or damaged leaves. Wash the heads of cabbage and slice in half. Remove the core and slice into strips approx. 2 cm wide. Gradually add sliced cabbage to boling salted water. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and place in jars. Layer the cabbage in the jars with the rinsed spices and cover with the hot pickling brine prepared from the remaining ingredients. Immediately close the jars and sterilise at 90 degrees C: 0.7 and 0.9 litre jars for 45 minutes and 0.5 litre jars for 35 minutes.

If you do use this process, I would let it rest for at least 4-6 weeks before using...

5. Sigma

Sigma Well-Known Member

You can probably find the pickled variety of red cabbage in most Polish stores here in the UK.

6. DanielZ

DanielZ Well-Known Member

otto,

I prefer something I call čerstvé zelí, prepared fresh on the stovetop, and good in the fridge for several days.

Ingredients:

1 cup (American or UK) finely chopped sweet onion

White or red, preferably BOTH, zelí (cabbage), enough to fill a large fry pan when chopped

2 tablespoons/soup spoons butter

1 cup water (American or UK), to begin

.25 cup cup water (American or UK) white wine

sugar, to taste

salt, to taste

.25 cup (American or UK), white or cider vinegar, to begin

4 tablespoons/soupspoons caraway seeds, to begin

Preparation:

chop onion

chop zelí in longish thin strips

In a large fry pan, sauté onion in butter, until translucent, add chopped zelí

Add water, wine, sugar, salt, vinegar and begin to steam over medium heat and COVER fry pan. Turn entirety about every five minutes, turning down heat if it is too hot, there should be no boiling, just a simmering steaming.

After 30 minutes add caraway, mixing it well into the zelí.

Now, begin to taste and level off what is missing: more sugar, more salt, more vinegar, more caraway?

When the zelí is soft and tasting right, about 45 minutes should have gone by. No more than 1 hour is needed.

Serve directly onto plate and enjoy the rest of your prepared dinner.

Dan

7. stepan

stepan Well-Known Member

Here is my dear mother's recipe for Red Cabbage.

RED CABBAGE

1 head red cabbage - shredded
    1 tablespoon butter or margerine
    1 medium onion - chopped
    6 teaspoons sugar
    1 cup vinegar
    1-2 apples - peeled, cored and chopped
    1 cup red wine

Fry the onion in the butter/margerine until the onions are translucent. Add the cabbage, apple(s), vinegar, sugar. If needed add 1/2 cup water. Bring to a slow boil, reduce heat and let simmer until the cabbage is almost done. Add the red wine and simmer until the cabbage is done. Time will vary depending on the size of the cabbage head.

This is great with pork - roasted with caraway seeds.