Praha bound !

Discussion in 'Make a Connection' started by Wilson, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Wilson

Wilson Member

Like most of us here. I've met a wonderfull Czech girl from Praha last May. Since then, I started to be exposed to this wonderful people and its culture, as well as, discovering that Prague is the most beautifull city in Europe. I'm trying to learn Czech, get books, tapes and every source of info that can help me on that. I would love to make friends with the same interest as me. Like everything Czech ! Czech people are awsome ! Thanks...

2. Heather

Heather Member

Hello Wilson,
    I also met wonderful person from Czech Republic and am also trying to learn to speak/read/write Czech. It is very difficult for me as I am American !! Anyways, if you go to Amazon.com/uk they have a few books there that are very helpful. The dictionary by Josef Frosnec (something like that) is the best I have found. Also, the "Teach Yourself Czech" book with audio cassettes is good, by David Short. Let me know how you are doing please.
    Heather

3. Wilson

Wilson Member

Ahoj Heather !
    It is good to share with you and other friends our common interest and discover about this really wonderfull and exciting people and culture: Czech !
    There is no doubt; Czech is hard for us. The language root is diferent, the grammar is highly intimidating for us that live abroad and away from that society and its cultural dynamics. Also, Czech is a 'Slavic' language, while we have naturally more ease with a Greco-Latin-Germano language. But I'm very happy and excited about the introducion to this culture, to its people and specially this wonderfull woman I've met. I'm doing my best to learn the basics. I've had some progress. I dedicate myself at least 45 min to one hour to study whatever I can in Czech.
    Hopefully I'll be able to get myself understood at least by December 2001, when I will be in the Czech Republic for Xmas ! Xmas in Praha ! Here I go ! hahahaha...
    Heather; Tell me about your experience with everything Czech ! OK ? ;-) Then I will tell you mine and we can share them here or by e-mail . I'm sure I will enjoy it so much. Because I love her very much and I'm sure we are experiencing the same the same bliss !

4. Dasha

Dasha New Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wilson:
    <B>Ahoj Heather !
    It is good to share with you and other friends our common interest and discover about this really wonderfull and exciting people and culture: Czech !
    There is no doubt; Czech is hard for us. The language root is diferent, the grammar is highly intimidating for us that live abroad and away from that society and its cultural dynamics. Also, Czech is a 'Slavic' language, while we have naturally more ease with a Greco-Latin-Germano language. But I'm very happy and excited about the introducion to this culture, to its people and specially this wonderfull woman I've met. I'm doing my best to learn the basics. I've had some progress. I dedicate myself at least 45 min to one hour to study whatever I can in Czech.
    Hopefully I'll be able to get myself understood at least by December 2001, when I will be in the Czech Republic for Xmas ! Xmas in Praha ! Here I go ! hahahaha...
    Heather; Tell me about your experience with everything Czech ! OK ? ;-) Then I will tell you mine and we can share them here or by e-mail . I'm sure I will enjoy it so much. Because I love her very much and I'm sure we are experiencing the same the same bliss !

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello
    I would love to hear your stories as I am experiencing the same bliss as you. I have been in a serious long distance relationship for a year now. He lives in Czech Rep. and I am in Canada. I was born and raised in the Czech Rep. for the first half of my life. I will be happy to answer any questions you have about the Czech culture, language, or anything else.
    It's also nice to know, that I am not the only one in the world. Hang in there, it's tough, but definitely worth it and it looks like you are both serious about your loved ones as well.

5. Wilson

Wilson Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dasha:
    Hi !
    It is very encouraging to find out I'm not the only one in the world going through this 'internationally challenged' relationship ! ;-)
    It is a bit hard on the heart, but we both know what is worth and our love is getting stronger and sweeter. She is planning to move to the US to live together. We've been thinking and we figured that we can't stay away from each other anymore. Life colors change into Black&White when we are apart. So; I will go to Praha in December, meet her family and come together to live here in Cape Cod. I'm very happy I met the woman of my life ! That happens to be CZECH !
    <B> Hello
    I would love to hear your stories as I am experiencing the same bliss as you. I have been in a serious long distance relationship for a year now. He lives in Czech Rep. and I am in Canada. I was born and raised in the Czech Rep. for the first half of my life. I will be happy to answer any questions you have about the Czech culture, language, or anything else.
    It's also nice to know, that I am not the only one in the world. Hang in there, it's tough, but definitely worth it and it looks like you are both serious about your loved ones as well.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

6. Heather

Heather Member

How wonderful to read your stories. I am definately serioius about my friend in Czech Republic, although there is really no telling how it will turn out. As far as trying to learn the language, I am doing pretty good on vocabulary, but what is difficult for me to understand is sentence structure, which is entirely different than in English language. Wilson...how exciting for you to be going to Prague for Christmas !!! I know you must be thrilled, and also for your girlfriend to be moving to USA !!! Wow, very exciting !