"New World" housing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Matej_CZ, May 7, 2006.

1. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

Amen to that! I heard something about banks are starting to foreclose on many of these McMansions because of people unable to pay the interest?

2. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

It's just personal preference, of course, nothing "ethical". Actually, the subject of living spaces came up last night and we came to the consensus that your home, like your car or your clothes, gives people an impression of you as a person. I'm probably confusing the architectural style of a ranch house with the type of isolationist, white-bread, snooty lifestyle it's come to represent for me. :roll: We all have our little prejudices. I think I mentioned in an older post that I'm not a fan of McMansions either, which are even snootier with a dash of entitlement. Besides, it's not like those are the only two choices you have if you're in the market for a house.

3. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Ceit....that is a, to me, odd impression that you have about someone living in their own home as being white bread and snooty.
    Snooty means like...''hey,(with nose in the air) I'm better than everyone else.''
    People are very proud of their homes and work hard to keep them up.
    That is the general population. Hard working, non=pretentious.

The McMansions, ok, maybe there is some ego in these.
    And I've got a brother in law and niece that can prove to you what a huge financial burden they can be. They got nocked down a peg or two, but it was a good lesson. They survived.

The builders build, the buyers buy.

Think of it like this maybe
    American way o thinking=wow look at all this land, so much space to do what we want with

European way of thinking==hmmmm, restricted space, how do we most efficiently use this space we've got

But that American way of thinking has been changing for a while now due to environmental concerns, and preserving special ecosystems and watersheds and such.
    But in my opinion still not enough.

4. Ceit

Ceit Well-Known Member

Um...if you read carefully you'll see that it's only ranch houses that inspire that particular feeling in me.

Yes, exactly. So?

And need I repeat? -
    "Those" being ranch houses and McMansions. In case anyone was doubting the existence of other architectural styles, I like the look of the houses in this slideshow, although they're too big for me personally. Maybe if I had kids or a lot of pets. I also like Frank Lloyd Wright's Usonian homes, which lends credence to my friend's theory that it's not the look of ranch homes that I don't like, it's the people I've known who lived in them. The Usonian house isn't that different, after all.

Are there no suburbs or sleeper cities with single-family houses at all in the Czech Republic? I noticed in the first article I posted that the author mentioned every region - except Central Europe. Guess you guys are the odd ones out when it comes to living spaces. :p

5. gypzy

gypzy Well-Known Member

Those usonian homes seem pretty cool, yet somehow they remind a bit of the American public schools that were in the 50's and 60's.

6. SMZ

SMZ Well-Known Member

It would never in a million years occur to me to that someone would consider ranch-style houses snooty! :lol: But then, when I was growing up, it was the lower-income groups (which included my family) that lived in them. The "rich kids" all lived in multi-story homes. Maybe it's different in other places.

Regarding the Frank Lloyd Wright houses -- they look nice (clean lines, etc.) but aren't really designed for people to "live" in. Very few (if any) closets, built-in furniture that is designed for art not comfort, and never a garage. (If you see a garage with a Wright home, it was added later.) I think they're beautiful -- and I've seen several of them -- but wouldn't be thrilled about living in one!

As always, YMMV....

7. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

This was my experience in Texas as well.