grammatical exercises

Discussion in 'Website Feedback' started by Sova, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I don't mean to complain about all the useful grammatical lessons being given recently on a number of threads; however, I've noticed that a number of very helpful dialogues on single points of grammar have been effectively ended by more general "grammatical exercises," where non-native speakers are practicing Czech composition and having corrections and feedback from native speakers. While I certainly appreciate the grammatical lessons and advice from discussions and completely understand the value of such to the learner, I think it is wiser to try to limit the general grammatical exercises to dedicated threads, and allow threads which are started to discuss a single aspect of grammar to stay on topic.

2. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Oooops, Sova, I bet that was in reference to my prolific writing.
    I get the point. I do tend to throw in comments, and then the corrections in grammar turn into short stories.
    I will refrain from that and limit myself to specific threads.
    Good point.

3. Alexx

Alexx Well-Known Member

Náhodou je to docela sranda jak se každé (skoro) téma nakonec zvrhne ve scrimshawovy kostelíky a procházky s dcerou :)

4. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

Well, if it hadn't been you, scrimshaw, someone else would have started it sooner or later. So don't take it personally. And let's face it, this is the perfect setting to do exactly this kind of grammar/writing practice. We just haven't dealt with this issue on these forums before, so I thought it wise to set a good precedent for the future.

5. scrimshaw

scrimshaw Well-Known Member

Glad you brought that up Sova. I think I will start two new posts, Practicing 1 and 2, and then limit my story telling to them. And just hoping that the good people here on this forum will continue offering corrections.

6. Sova

Sova Well-Known Member

I'm sure they will. There are several users here, whose hands seem to start twitching when they see a grammatical error. :lol: (Of course, I laugh, but in reality I'm the same when it comes to English :) ).

7. wer

wer Well-Known Member

Scrimshaw, your posts often start as related to the original topic, but later they tend to become off-topic.

I think the best solution for you is to start a new thread and to post there a link to the thread where the problem arrises from.

8. Dana

Dana Well-Known Member

Hi Sova,

Thanks for bringing this up. I think you and scrimshaw have proposed a good solution. Confining grammatical exercises and lessons to their own threads is a good way to keep them around without them interfering with (and potentially ending) discussions focusing on specific grammatical topics.

Dana

9. Eleshar

Eleshar Well-Known Member

Hmmm, this topic expresses what I had on mind for months and did not dare say loudly :wink:

Perhaps if some admin or moderator could make the effort to clean up those purely grammatical topics so that they contain only the relevant content and the rest is moved somewhere else (as it may contain also relevant content but to different topics). I imagine how this can prove difficult but I think it could be rewarding...